• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peterborough, NH

Boo

We'll be spending New Years at our camp up by the NH border and were thinking of going into Peterborough for brunch on NYD. Any suggestions for tasty breakast/brunches? I'd be interested in anything, from diner to upscale. Thanks!

Acqua Bistro in Depot Square downtown does a great brunch. Get a table overlooking the river. The crab cakes benedict are tasty. You may want to check to see if they will be open.

How is the food at the Inn at Jaffrey Center? Have you eaten there? I'm thinking of a slight change in plans. I know that the Fitzwilliam is open for brunch on NYD, so we may do that and have dinner NYE in Jaffrey. Hmmmm

How is the food at the Inn at Jaffrey Center?  Have you eaten there? I'm thinking of a slight change in plans.  I know that the Fitzwilliam is open for brunch on NYD, so we may do that and have dinner NYE in Jaffrey. Hmmmm

Have not eaten at I@JC, though reports are good. Acqua Bistro is open NYE.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be spending New Years at our camp up by the NH border and were thinking of going into Peterborough for brunch on NYD.  Any suggestions for tasty breakast/brunches?  I'd be interested in anything, from diner to upscale.  Thanks!

Boo -

My family has a place in Rindge, not far from Peterborough. Here's a tip: Pearl's Restaurant and Oyster Bar. It's just a few minutes from the downtown area of Peterborough and my wife and I were shocked at how strong a job they did. We've only eaten their once, but it was truly wonderful.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Pearl is excellent, but was not open NYE. Instead, we had a very nice dinner at Acqua Bistro. Two of us had the grilled venison chop, which was toothsome. The other two had the bouillabaise, which was a little too "nouvelle"--i.e. kind of a deconstructed version with skimpy broth and odd seasoning. The hit was a molten chipotle chocolate cake for dessert. FYI, we stayed at the Grand View Inn in Jaffrey--a beautiful setting but with a very hostile, arrogant innkeeper--avoid this place.

We had a lovely NYE dinner at the Inn at Jaffrey Center, very good food. I was surprised, I have to say. Really tasty appetizer of pasta with asparagus, crumbled pancetta and Maytag blue cheese. Mmmmm. I had venison for a main, very lean and tender, with horseradish and chive mashed potatoes. Couldn't really taste the horseradish, however, and I needed to use salt for some flavor. Attentive service and not too over the top with the "olde New England" atmosphere. We were the youngest people in the room by about 25 years, however, so it was a tad staid. WHS, I would be interested in the issues with your stay at the Grand View Inn. We stopped there for spa treatments during the weekend and I had some misgivings about cleanliness standards.

WHS: Yes, the GrandView lives up to its name. Not sure if the weather cooperated for you, but they have something like a few hundred acres of hiking trails for guests. Did you check that out? It's supposed to be just spectacular. I never went for spa treaments there, and probably won't after your experience.

Boo: Glad you like I@JC. Your experience is just what we've found. Quaint place. Generally old clientele. Service iffy. Food typically good, but not a standout. If you get back to the area, do give Pearl's a try.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I'll definitely give Pearl a try - probably this spring when we reopen the cabin. Also want to try Aylmer's Grille and the Peterborough Diner, both looked interesting.

WHS, I would be interested in the issues with your stay at the Grand View Inn.  We stopped there for spa treatments during the weekend and I had some misgivings about cleanliness standards.

When we checked in, our room had no heat (in a separate cottage). It took from 3pm to 6pm before the manager made the executive decision to move us to another room with fewer amenities. I asked to speak to the owner, who spent the entire time avoiding us. When I finally cornered him, he was sullen and arrogant, made no apology, and by way of explanation, told us the heat had been fixed. Rather than cause a scene (we were with another couple), we moved back to the orginal room. This was at 10 pm. The owner spent the entire weekend complaining about how he would have rather been in Vegas (!), how he was planning to turn the equestrian center into a paintball maze to piss off the neighbors, and stomping around slamming doors. To his credit, he is an accomplished chef, and turned out a delicious dinner the first night (of course, one of the salads came out 10 minutes after the others).

This inn bills itself as a full service resort, but in reality it is run by an immature dilettante and his unprofessional, adolescent staff. The poop stains in the spa toilet were never cleaned, bath amenities were comprised of dollar store shampoo and prison-sized soap, and the sauna floor was gritty. There was a mouse nest in one of the bureau drawers. I think you get the idea.

WHS - yikes. At least your meal was good. I have to concur that the spa was dirty - the day after my visit I came down with conjunctivitis in both eyes. Very contagious- you can contract it from using unclean towels or linens. Yuck. Never had it before, and it is not fun. Ditto to the tiny, cheap bath products. Hair and grunge on the floor of the shower and my DH noticed the same toilet stains. Never again. The worse part of it was that we had to cancel our brunch at the Fitzwilliam Inn due to the aforementioned eye issue. I hope to try it soon.