• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

General Truffle Troubleshooting

Popcorn

It sounds like your ganache just set stiffer than you are used to, perhaps due to a little less liquid.  I've also noticed that a ganache sets quicker when you temper the chocolate.  You might try to add just a bit more creme next time.

What technique did you use to put the ganache together?

I've never heard of repairing ganache like that. Very intersting.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

It sounds like you may have tried to create an emulsion at too high a temperature or added the butter when it was too hot. Are you checking the temp of the ganache when you start mixing/adding the butter? What was the temp when you added the Limocello?

I mean the ganache got grainy, I didn't change anything really.

However...I fixed it as per baking  911. Divided the ganache in half, refrigerated one half and heated the other and mixed them together!

Thanks David, I boiled the cream and poured it over tempered chopped chocolate
Hi all!

I've got a great Lime / ginger truffle recipe that has worked in the past...however this time, after adding the Limoncello, the ganache seized when I checked on it after a few hours...why???:( Here's the recipe if anyone wants it,

- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate ( I use Valrhona )

-1/2 cup creme fraiche

- 2 tbsp butter

- 2 tsp grated lime zest

- 2 tsp Limoncello

It sounds like your ganache just set stiffer than you are used to, perhaps due to a little less liquid. I've also noticed that a ganache sets quicker when you temper the chocolate. You might try to add just a bit more creme next time.

What technique did you use to put the ganache together?

• 5 months later...

I'm in the process of either making a truffle disaster or a practical joke.

My current experiment is cooling in the refrigerator right now in a bowl. I haven't shaped them into truffles yet. The ingredients I used are:

16 oz. unsweetened chocolate (not bittersweet, unsweetened!)

8 oz. heavy cream, scalded (not boiling over)

2 oz. unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces

I would like to add some sweetness to the truffles. No, I don't want to make Exlax truffles. I'm not that evil ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What should I do? Dust them with powdered sugar? Reheat the ganache in simmering water and add some bittersweet and/or corn syrup? And I'm not ready to try tempering chocolate yet.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I'm in the process of either making a truffle disaster or a practical joke.

My current experiment is cooling in the refrigerator right now in a bowl. I haven't shaped them into truffles yet. The ingredients I used are:

16 oz. unsweetened chocolate (not bittersweet, unsweetened!)

8 oz. heavy cream, scalded (not boiling over)

2 oz. unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces

I would like to add some sweetness to the truffles. No, I don't want to make Exlax truffles. I'm not that evil ...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

What should I do? Dust them with powdered sugar? Reheat the ganache in simmering water and add some bittersweet and/or corn syrup? And I'm not ready to try tempering chocolate yet.

I'd probably see how you like them they way they are. Some sweetness could be added by rolling in powdered sugar as you suggested.

If you do decide to remelt and start again, I'd probably add a sweet liqueur of some sort and some glucose (white corn syrup) would be good - not as sweet as sugar, but I suspect that is the effect you were after.

What kind of unsweetened chocolate did you use?

Thank you, Doctor Kerry.

I was using Callebaut unsweetened chocolate. The unsweetened quality was quite evident, and I don't really want to subject my co-workers to that necessarily.

I'll go with your suggestion: take two truffles with powdered sugar, and call you in the morning, ehh?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 7 years later...

Sad, weeping truffles!

I made a dark chocolate ganache with an oil flavoring.  The ratio was 1 part cream to 1.25 parts chocolate.  It was on my counter for 2 days before I gave it a good stir and piped it into shells.  Shortly after unmolding, I noticed the bottoms were weeping a sticky fluid.  What is this and why did it happen?

image.jpg

Kerry - it's definitely sticky, not greasy.  The ganache looked fine (not broken) when I piped it in.  

KeyChris - I didn't have shells ready for it.  The temp in the room was very cool, but not as cool as the fridge, so good point.  I've heard that ganache is supposed to set overnight at room temp - what is the longest it *should* stay  at room temp to set before being piped, and what's the longest if the ganache has been refrigerated?  Thanks!

I've certainly seen the liquid component get extruded from a filling after it's sealed. It's usually fatty I find if the ganche has split - but syrup sometimes happens. Anything else in the filling besides the cream and chocolate?

Any sort of fermented flavour happening?

Just essential oil, and some bits of candied orange (sufficiently dried).  

Never heard of fermented flavor in choc before!  I just filled yesterday so i'd say no fermented flavor.

The only thing I can think of is that my choc when capping may have been warmer than 86F (and certainly out of temper), but (1) could this extra warmth cause slight melting of the exposed area of ganache, and (2) could that melting be connected in any way to the sticky sap-like weeping?  Bit of a mystery, eh?!!

Gfweb - Yes the weeping is coming out from the cracks, but then what's causing those?! (Maybe the untempered choc that was used to back them?) 

Kerry I've seen it before too, I'd just like to figure out why so I can prevent it!! :) 

@pastryani Why did you close the molds with untempered chocolate?

4 hours ago, pastryani said:

Gfweb - Yes the weeping is coming out from the cracks, but then what's causing those?! (Maybe the untempered choc that was used to back them?) 

Kerry I've seen it before too, I'd just like to figure out why so I can prevent it!! :) 

34 minutes ago, pastryani said:

Curls - I had other projects going and before I knew it, the choc was partially hardened. O.o It was already in the wee hours so I just re-melted the choc and capped (figuring they were for personal consumption anyhow). :$

Ah, ok. Just checking to see if that was part of your usual procedure!  :-)