• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morristown

StInGeR

So here it is guys. V and I have just bought a condo in Morristown so we can finally cut our commutes to work down from 1-2hrs down to 10-15 mins. We're now trying to hit the restaurant scene in the area and need to know whats good, what's bad and what's downright UGLY!! Those that know us, rooftop, LReda, Ejebud know we'll try anything once.. hell maybe twice. Japanese is good as is anything Asian (Thai, Malaysian, Indian etc). Delivery is fantastic!!! Let me know what's happening in these parts and I'm sure V and I will both be happy.

Cheers Guys

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Damn your not dead

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Moghul is consistently excellent. Go for the Sunday buffet. As far as Indian buffets go, it's an arm and a leg (12.95) but they've got a great selection of dishes and compared to what you spend for dinner at these kind of places, it's a huge bargain. Both the okra and the paneer are the best I've ever had in an Indian restaurant (and I've been to more than 40 places). The fried chicken wings are good too. The chicken tikka masala is somewhat mundane, though and the lamb isn't anything to write home about. Still, if you like okra or paneer, this is the best you'll find- anywhere.

Although it can be a bit on the salty side, Suvios makes the best pizza in the area. Pete's is pretty good too.

I've never been there, but Penang on rt. 10 (malaysian) gets a lot of good nods.

If you find a Chinese take out place that you like let me know. I haven't been happy with any of the places I've been to recently (lin's, hunan wok, tops china, hunan cottage, etc)

I also haven't been all that impressed with the Japanese places in town. Most of the Japanese places have been around for quite a few years and give me a complacent/not too clean vibe.

Pierre's is fantastic. This is another place that I would never shell out for dinner but the Sunday buffet is very reasonable.

It depends on how much disposable income you have, but, other than Moghul/Suvios my general advice would be to NOT eat in Morristown. Your food dollar will go quite a bit further by taking a drive.

Japanese - Sushi Lounge, great sushi, interesting rolls, but can get pricey. For great sushi/sashimi that is also a great price point try Aji Japanese Fusion on Speedwell in Morris Plains.

Thai - Andamann Sea Recipes is my favorite

New American - George and Martha Tavern on Morris. Great burgers, and other choices for lunch.

Pizza - Suvio's but no delivery

Indian - Moghuls on the lunch buffet. Dinner is al a carte and unless you go with a few people, you can't get to sample as much as you can on the buffet.

Ditto on Copeland—always excellent. Guerriero’s is a typical neighborhood Italian restaurant; BYO. There is an excellent liquor store next door to Guerriero’s that specializes in Argentine wines. I like Nagano for sushi. Didn’t care for Origin, Morristown but love the one in Somerville. Haven’t been to Settebello in a long time but it was always reliable and will actually be trying it again soon; BYO. Recently had an excellent lunch in the Hyatt and the bar there is beautiful. Tim Schafer is no longer at Tim Schafer’s Cuisine but the buzz is that the food is still very good (BYO). There will be some new restaurants opening in December. Watch the OPENINGS/CLOSINGS page of Table Hopping With Rosie for info: http://www.njmonthly.com/rosie/openclose.html

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

It depends on how much disposable income you have, but...my general advice would be to NOT eat in Morristown. Your food dollar will go quite a bit further by taking a drive.

What he said.

Sadly, I just don't think there's that much happening IN Morristown, but you're certainly within reach of a lot of decent to very good food now! A few thoughts from a gal who grew nearby, worked in Motown for a few years, and still has friends in the area:

Arthur's in Morris Plains (across from the MP train station where Speedwell Ave hits Rt. 202) for beer and burgers*

Hunan in Morris Plains (corner of Hanover and Speedwell Avenues) has good Chinese food, a full bar, and a nice vibe

Tiffany's in Morris Plains (2 doors down from Hunan) used to have good ribs

Harry & David's Chinese on Rt. 10E in East Hanover is still a favorite when I'm in the area, but it's 'basic' Chinese--nothing wild in terms of menu items, but the food is always fresh and the place very clean

Saffron in East Hanover is one of my favorite Indian restaurants--go for the lunch buffet (8.95 iirc) for lunch M-Sat; dinner can get a bit too $$$, imo

And...and...

Hunan and Tiffany's may deliver to you; likely depends on where you are in Motown, as it's pretty spread out.

There are TONS of places in Morris County, and I'm sure others will chime in. Do an eG search for a few of the aforementioned as well as on other towns (Parsippany has lots of Asian food), as there is definitely some info on them.

I'm sure I'll think of more for you. Congrats on the new place!

Curlz

*Tommy, would love to know if you've had their burger and what you think; haven't had one in 5+ years, but that's where we always went when the craving hit...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

*Tommy, would love to know if you've had their burger and what you think; haven't had one in 5+ years, but that's where we always went when the craving hit...

i don't find their burger notable. it doesn't taste fresh. the burger/bun ratio isn't what it should be. it's a flat patty.

on a whole i'm not terribly impressed with arthur's. i loved it in college, and have been there probably 200 times. but i was 21 years old, and the biggest draw was to go with a group of friends to see who could drink the most liters of beer during dinner. at $2.50 a pop, it was an obligation.

i wouldn't recommend arthur's to anyone, but it *is* worth a shot if you want to have a casual dinner at a bar just to check it out. you could do worse.

i generally get a turkey sandwich at arthur's. who doesn't like a pound of turkey breast on pumpernickel with a liter of Bass. or 2.

Edited by tommy (log)

Japanese - Sushi Lounge, great sushi, interesting rolls, but can get pricey.  For great sushi/sashimi that is also a great price point try Aji Japanese Fusion on Speedwell in Morris Plains.

Thai - Andamann Sea Recipes is my favorite

New American - George and Martha Tavern on Morris.  Great burgers, and other choices for lunch.

Pizza - Suvio's  but no delivery

Indian - Moghuls on the lunch buffet.  Dinner is al a carte and unless you go with a few people, you can't get to sample as much as you can on the buffet.

I agree with all of these choices. George and Martha's is shy of a week old and I really enjoy the bar there.

Also, I enjoy Ora, next to the Community Theatre. Interesting flavors and dishes, and it's BYOB. Pazzo Pazzo is nice, particularly in the summer when you can dine outside.

well, if you're STILL working where you were last year at least the commute is against traffic instead of with it....did you ever get to East Cafe or Hot Rods BBQ?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

well, if you're STILL working where you were last year at least the commute is against traffic instead of with it....did you ever get to East Cafe or Hot Rods BBQ?

Actually I transferred stores and am now in East Hanover, 10 mins from home. Been to Hot Rods a couple of times but never managed to get to East Cafe. I have to say I'm enjoying the diversity around here compared to the same ole same ole in Sparta.

I want food and I want it now

I think the expats in Munich have us beat ...they have a 4 week party drinking something called pots of evil.

Maybe next friday I will raise a pot of evil to the EEG

dimsum

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I think the expats in Munich have us beat ...they have a 4 week party drinking something called pots of evil.

Maybe next friday I will raise a pot of evil to the EEG

I think it is Friday, but you have to wait 'til the moon is showing! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I have to say I'm enjoying the diversity around here compared to the same ole same ole in Sparta.

so you will miss the new mexican restaurant staffed by many of the local hispanics and supposedly serving tex mex as well as regional specialities.

ok- i'm done with the hawkgawk - when and where are we putting together a pub crawl?

:wink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Haven’t been to Settebello in a long time but it was always reliable and will actually be trying it again soon; BYO.

Settebello has been a longtime favorite of mine, but I too have been away for quite some time. I think it's been 4 years. I tend to get a little worried about complacency with restaurants that have been around a while, but, prior to my last visit, Settebello had been in business for at least 12 years and the food/level of service had not suffered at all during that time. The prices might have outpaced inflation, but I think that's to be expected in Morristown.

Saffron in East Hanover is one of my favorite Indian restaurants--go for the lunch buffet (8.95 iirc) for lunch M-Sat; dinner can get a bit too $$$, imo

After two somewhat dissappointing trips to Saffron (burnt spinach, poor service) I decided to give it one more shot today. I was very pleasantly surprised. It feels like they've knocked out some of the kinks and are settled in. Both the food and the atmosphere felt quite a bit more comfortable than on previous visits.

The creamy kofta gravy was unbelievable. It pretty much singlehandedly restored my faith in Indian restaurant food. The malai meatballs were kind of mushy, but I took some of the sauceless aloo gobi and put some of the kofta gravy on it and I was in heaven.

What most impressed me about Saffron was the price for the Sunday buffer- $9.95! Considering that Saffron is more expensive than most places during the week, I was amazed to find it cheaper than most places on Sunday (Moghul is 12.95). I'm not sure what prompted this pricing or how long it will last, but it's an amazing deal. Another benefit of eating there on Sunday is the lack of crowds and the extended hours. During the week I've had problems getting a table for lunch and they've stopped bringing out food at 1:30 (unforgiveable!), but on Sunday, we were 1 of about 4 families and the buffet runs from 12:00 to 3:00

Go!!!!