• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

would this work as a filling for a bundt cake?

zoe b

I'm making the double chocolate bundt cake from Food & Wine to take to a party--the hub has a can of cherry pie filling he wants me to do something with--he loves cherry pie and doesn't mind this icky storebought stuff...

so do you think the pie filling would work in the center of the bundt cake? sort of like the tunnel bundt cakes people used to make=--or do you think it would just ruin a decent tasting cake (that'ds sort of what I think)

Zoe

It probably would fine. Here's a coupla thoughts on that. Number one, add a little almond extract to the cherry!!! But what I was gonna say is bake a cupcake with the cherry inside & see if it does up the way you want it to.

Or or or, just plop the can of cherry juju in the hole of the baked plated bundt cake. I mean I like canned cherries, shoot me. Especially if you get the premium brands they are very very good.

How about get some cherry wine and cook it down, reduce it down to jazz up the cherry stuff?? Maybe...

Oh hey, my friend Valarie won* the pie competition in Florida with a classic cherry pie she made with cherries from California, Morrelies or something like that...I'll find out.

*as in $5000 and a new stove & microzapper--not bad for canned cherries.

edited to say: She used Morello Cherries. Here's a link.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

thanks, k8--I like the idea of dumping them in the center--and also oomphing them up a little--what do you think of some kirsch?

And also that you'll admit you like canned cherries--now i'll admit i love canned peaches!!!

and big kudos to your friend--winning a pie competition is hot stuff--I think producing a really good pie is an amazingly difficult task--Zoe

But what I was gonna say is bake a cupcake with the cherry inside & see if it does up the way you want it to.

I've never used one of those tunnel of bundt thingies, but I've been looking into them and my understanding is that you add the filling after the cake has baked and the filling doesn't go in the oven at all.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

emmalish:

I think what K8 was trying to say regarding plopping the canned stuff down was to add it to in a bowl in the hole left after removing the cake from the pan after baking, as sort of a dipping sauce or something you could choose to put on the side.

The filled cake is done by adding the tunnel of whatever by adding half of the batter to the pan, adding the filling without touching the edges, then the remaining batter. The end result when sliced reveals a chocolate cake with a cherry center in each serving.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

The filled cake is done by adding the tunnel of whatever by adding half of the batter to the pan, adding the filling without touching the edges, then the remaining batter. The end result when sliced reveals a chocolate cake with a cherry center in each serving.

Ahhh, see I was thinking of this kind of tunnel.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I made the chocolate bundt cake, but chickened out on the cherry pie filling since we were taking it to a party---i think I'll test imaking it a tunnel cake just for us to see if i like it--the cake would be good with some cherry goo and maybe some vanilla ice cream--it's a real simple dump cake with oil--just as easy as making brownies, you mix it with a whisk--but it needs a little somethin somethin--maybe a lotta booze in the chocolate glaze would help.

jeez, k8--I just looked at your cakes--I'm flabbergasted--you made them?

I bow to you--they are works of art--I love to bake, but decorating a cake is so beyond my patience level--I realized this when 1/2 way through squirting rosettes on a Strawberry Shortcake (the doll) cake for my dau's birthday i started randomly placing them --now my decorating consists of sticking candy or fruit on the cake.

Zoe