• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked salmon and wine match

Waterzoy

I have just bought a French sauvignon blanc following the advice of my local wine merchant to be serve with blinis, smoked salmon and a dollop of soured cream. I'm not sure whether this recommendation is the best though. Is there a more appropriate wine match that anyone can think of? Thanks.

Try a less than brut bubbly -- from anywhere. How about frozen vodka?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

We had a very nice Gewurztraminer as recommended by Jackal10 this evening and it was just right with the salmon. Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought of sherry....it sounds intriguing. I'll experiment with this and also with the vodka. Thanks again.

smoked salmon has such a strong flavor that it overwhelms just about any wine. I would pair a gently smoked premium quality salmon with a dry Loire white wine, sauvignon blanc or a dry Alsatian riesling. For a heavily smoked commercial fish, vodka would be best.

smoked salmon has such a strong flavor that it overwhelms just about any wine. I would pair a gently smoked premium quality salmon with a dry Loire white wine, sauvignon blanc or a dry Alsatian riesling. For a heavily smoked commercial fish, vodka would be best.

Tokay Pinot Gris ? (alsatian) of course its really about what you like in a white: the fruitier, riper Californians or the more austere French ones. If you dont like the one you get cross it off your list