• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Mason's Tailor

bunny

I had made a point of stopping to follow The Launch website since they obviously just stopped making any updates and the people from Tailor have kept an extremely low profile the last few months. Now I don't see any dates they expect to open.

Anyone has ANY information on the place and a possible date????

Sam Mason said they did a bunch of interviews and press for all the magazines july/september issues, so maybe in the next month there will be some press coming out.

One of those September issues is Bon Appetit, which has an article with recipes about the free-standing dessert restaurants of NYC. They include Tailor, R4D and P*ong. Ironically, only P*ong is open at the time of the magazine's release. I hope Tailor is open in time for the Starchefs ICC. If it is I will try to go.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

i've been looking forward to the opening too, although there may be trouble (see 3rd item)

PS noticed that too, docsconz, and, frankly, either open already or stop with all the press acting like it is open. at this point, the buildup has led to such high expectations that the results might be disappointing.

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

i've been looking forward to the opening too, although there may be trouble (see 3rd item)

PS noticed that too, docsconz, and, frankly, either open already or stop with all the press acting like it is open. at this point, the buildup has led to such high expectations that the results might be disappointing.

That blog post alleges serious financial concerns. I hope that either it is not true or that the additional backing steps up as I am sure that Sam will have a lot to offer. Expectations are high, but probably dampened a bit by the wait. This would probably be a very good time to open though in NYC as there doesn't seem to be much major competition in the offing.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

That blog post alleges serious financial concerns. I hope that either it is not true or that the additional backing steps up as I am sure that Sam will have a lot to offer. Expectations are high, but probably dampened a bit by the wait. This would probably be a very good time to open though in NYC as there doesn't seem to be much major competition in the offing.

Unfortunately, the various blog posts in "The Launch" started to remind me of my own home re-decorating project. You keep thinking of "just one more thing" that you want, and before you know it, your budget has mushroomed way beyond its original size.

My, what intelligent comments were made by the person who loves "greasy hair & "douche bags".

2317/5000

johnny iuzzini

According to Jean Georges Pastry Chef Johnny Iuzzini's new ( as in this weekend going up)

"what's up" calendar section, Tailor is scheduled to open on the 30th of August, coincidentally the day before JI's birthday.

But when all is said & done, no restaurant is going to open before it's ready.

I hope it's just unforeseen contractor stuff (not unheard of) and nothing serious, which seems rather doubtful.

2317/5000

• 2 weeks later...

I read on eater.com yesterday that all the plywood in front of Tailor has already been removed. So it may seem that indeed, tomorrow will be the opening date for Tailor as mentioned in Iuzzini's calendar.

Anyone has any news regarding this or plan to go there for the opening date???

I read on eater.com yesterday that all the plywood in front of Tailor has already been removed. So it may seem that indeed, tomorrow will be the opening date for Tailor as mentioned in Iuzzini's calendar.

Anyone has any news regarding this or plan to go there for the opening date???

It's on my "to-do" list. I hope to be there within a week of its opening. Lawdy knows I've been looking forward to this venture all year long. :wink:

johnny iuzzini

According to Jean Georges Pastry Chef Johnny Iuzzini's new ( as in this weekend going up)

"what's up" calendar section, Tailor is scheduled to open on the 30th of August, coincidentally the day before JI's birthday.

But when all  is said & done, no restaurant is going to open before it's ready.

I hope it's just unforeseen contractor stuff (not unheard of) and nothing serious, which seems rather doubtful.

Yes, I saw that too, and have been trying to find out how I might get reservations for a month down the road. I heard he will be taking reservations. Has anyone tried/been successful?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Update: F&F right now, open to the public on Saturday. The phone bounces to the kitchen if it's not being answered at the FOH so calling is not advisable. I may be sending an associate there this evening to see if she can weasel her way in.

Update: F&F right now, open to the public on Saturday.  The phone bounces to the kitchen if it's not being answered at the FOH so calling is not advisable.  I may be sending an associate there this evening to see if she can weasel her way in.

cool. I'm in town this weekend cause I'm a loser so.....

Here's what UrbanDaddy had:

Tailor Made

SoHo's Newest Dessert Spot

You're a cultural blender. Where others see dinner, then dessert, you see dinnert.

For a restaurant that shares your view, we recommend Sam Mason's much anticipated—like eight months' worth of anticipation—Tailor, officially opening Saturday and welcoming walk-ins starting tomorrow. (Obligatory hype: Here’s the city’s first look inside!)

The big idea at Tailor: to blur preconceived notions of what a drinks/dinner/dessert experience should entail. Mason, former pastry chef at WD-50, blends savory staples like red snapper with sweets like watermelon and avocado-pistachio, then gets even crazier with the combination of Foie Gras, Peanut Butter, Cocoa and Pear. For all-out dessert, there's the Soft Chocolate, Smoked, Brown Butter Cake or the Carrot-Orange Ravioli, Cedar Ice Cream, Tarragon.

After your sweet fix in the dining area, head downstairs to the skylit underground grotto, which is heavy on the marble, copper and half-ripped-off vintage wallpaper. From here you can stretch out with specialty drinks like the Bazooka (vodka, bubble gum, house sour...on second thought, maybe that one's for her) and the Paprika Punch (rum, red bell pepper, lemon). And coming soon from house mixologist Eben Freeman: infusions like cedar bourbon and the mind-blowing pumpernickel raisin scotch.

Oh, and one Sunday a month, Tailor will hold an invite-only brunch.

Should be a mixed crowd.

Tailor, 525 Broome (between Thompson and Sullivan)

Someone take me, please?

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

the problem is, I think the delays have hurt them...the menu would be more intriguing if P*Ong hadn't already opened.  but the proof will be on the plate...

... or in the Huitlacoche Mezcal!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'll probably stop in tonight. 

the problem is, I think the delays have hurt them...the menu would be more intriguing if P*Ong hadn't already opened.  but the proof will be on the plate...

I don't think the delays matter that much, except that they're in the hole for a larger up-front investment, and so have less room for error. Almost always, the best time to open a restaurant of a particular type is when there are other successful examples of that same type.

Anyway, the arrival of Tailor is somewhat offset by the loss of Room 4 Dessert.

Edited by oakapple (log)

Nathan, have you eaten at P*ong? Because I thought it was pretty terrible. I've been an enormous fan of Sam since my first time at WD-50 and I feel certain that he can bring it in a big way. When we have some reviews we'll have a basis for comparison, but my instinct is that Tailor will overshadow P*ong in a major way.

Nathan, have you eaten at P*ong? Because I thought it was pretty terrible. I've been an enormous fan of Sam since my first time at WD-50 and I feel certain that he can bring it in a big way. When we have some reviews we'll have a basis for comparison, but my instinct is that Tailor will overshadow P*ong in a major way.

oh, I hope so! except for one or two dishes, I wasn't impressed with P*Ong. but I was eating the semi-savories...since I don't really do dessert. and the cocktails are awful.

so, yeah, I'm hopeful about Tailor...just saying that in terms of genre-busting, P*Ong has already done (albeit not with great results) what Tailor was supposed to do last year. (Will talked about doing this at Room4Dessert but hadn't gotten around to it.)

oh, I hope so! except for one or two dishes, I wasn't impressed with P*Ong. but I was eating the semi-savories...since I don't really do dessert. and the cocktails are awful.

so, yeah, I'm hopeful about Tailor...just saying that in terms of genre-busting, P*Ong has already done (albeit not with great results) what Tailor was supposed to do last year. (Will talked about doing this at Room4Dessert but hadn't gotten around to it.)

See, I didn't find that to be the case at P*ong, regardless of what it claims to do. The sweet dishes were much sweeter than anything I've ever had from Sam and the "Sweet and Savory" dishes weren't really sweet and savory at once, but sweet in some aspects (ice cream) and savory in others (cheese). All of Sam's desserts tend to be at once sweet and savory, and his sweet is never hugely sweet.

There's an obvious analogue in cocktails. Cocktails can be savory or sweet, but a truly well made cocktail is never too sweet. I think it's the primary thing setting Death & Co, Pegu, etc apart from places like EO or Angelshare. To me, the sweet dishes at P*ong and the sweet elements of the sweet and savory dishes were sickningly sweet. Maybe I just went on an off night, but nothing I had at P*ong was well executed.

Can someone get there and give us a report already?! :wacko:

I haven't been to P*ong so I can't compare, but I agree very much with Jesikka's assessment of Sam's balanced approach to cooking. My experience with his dishes are that they are never too much of anything. There is sweetness, but it is always restrained and balanced by other elements. I expect the savories will be that with a tad of sweetness while the desserts will be mildly sweet with elements of savory. The difference will probably be one of focus and emphasis of specific ingredients.

Twitter - @docsconz

He had me at Foie gras, chocolate, peanut butter, pear.

SWOON! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."