• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Mason's Tailor

bunny

I'm not sure how close it is to opening, but I understand the name is "Tailor."

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The name is indeed "TAILOR" We are scheduled to be open early Feburary. I plan to start posting pictures and some philosophy from our test kitchen soon........I'm very excited and I really believe that the savory menu is pretty spectacular.... More to come..............................................

sam mason

The name is indeed "TAILOR"  We are scheduled to be open early Feburary.  I plan to start posting pictures and some philosophy from our test kitchen soon........I'm very excited and I really believe that the savory menu is pretty spectacular.... More to come..............................................

This is great to hear!

Can't wait to see the pix!!!

2317/5000

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

Well I know it may seem weird to start up a topic on a restaurant that hasn´t even opened yet. I have searched all over for anything regarding Sam Mason and I just found bits of information scattered all over so I thought I would start a topic specifically on the restaurant so everyone can discuss anything specifically about it here.

I for one am very excited about this new place. It says it will open end of february, beggining of march. One thing that caught my attention is how everyone said it would be just a dessert bar, but apparently it will be a full on restaurant with a big focus on pastry, but with a lot of savory dishes.

Here is a link with some useful information:

I would like to read about any more information anyone might have or see any pictures people might have from his past desserts.

Great Link, Thanks!!!

You must have seen his website?

If not, check it out.

Around 32 or more pix and counting.

Edit: Damn... looks like it's offline, sorry!

Edit 2: Happy New Year,'07 and, Wille Lee, is the site down?

Will a new site go up for you and Tailor?

Thank you!

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

Have you seen "the FOCUS" eGullet did with him, it's pretty cool...

If I say so myself..

Edit 1: This IS good, lol!

Focus with Sam Mason!

Edit 2: I just want to say that all of my questions weren't so much me trying to "hog" it as much as trying to push some more participation.

I had forgotten just how exciting it was!

Thanks again, Sam!!!

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

A new page of the New Yorker mag "Grub Street" articles Sam is writing about "The Launch" ( the name of the ongoing series)

Link to NYorker Article

It went up this week.

I found out that FB was at wd also I think as well as some others?

Can't wait to see more!

That is a very informative little article that illustrates all the little details necessary to plan for when opening a restaurant.

Meanwhile, the space itself, which is on the corner of Broome and Thompson, is still under construction. The walls are starting to go up today, but the place is going to be in build-out for the next month. Luckily the contractors have been totally on point. But there’s just so much you don’t realize when you’re thinking about opening a restaurant. Take today. We're deciding the garbage schedule. I never really thought about it before. You have to have your garbage hauled off daily, but we can't have it picked up late. There are people who live upstairs and we can’t disturb them. And of course it can’t happen during service. So we figured out that it should be preservice, between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.; that way we can unload the garbage that we prepped all day. A lot of garbage is generated in the prep kitchen — meat scraps and bones and all that. But now, to hold it, we have to make a garbage room! And we have to make it very cold, practically to the point of refrigeration. So we’re thinking about that. Private waste contractors are pricier than I could have imagined.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That was a good little article. It is amazing how complex the opening process is. I can't imagine haviong to deal with all the insurance things and permits.

I wonder if they have all the kitchen staff pretty much picked up, or if they are still going to do all the calling and interviewing later when it's closer to opening time?

That garbage room is a REALLY important thing, and you guys are on top of it to want to refrigerate it.

When I was in NY working, we had a non refrigerated garbage room, and in the summer, if the clean up guys forgot about it, it would be a major stink issue.

My place roasted whole young pigs , the whole nine yards, we generated a lot of "meat scraps". :laugh:

You had to keep a major intelligence flow going ( in our case certainly) to know when the clean up crew was "feeling a revolution" coming.

2317/5000