• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our sample NY itinerary

Simon_S

Yes on the bar at The Modern, not that you'll be sitting at a bar. I had a meal there last week, for the first time in a while, and was both impressed and delighted (not the same thing, as we all know). You can even book a table on Open Table.

A few points. Unless you're better at jet lag than I am - you'll be up for early dining during your short stay (just like I'm up for late dining when I go to Europe). Might work in your favor in terms of reservations. You can do early dinners - and a show (or two). Like when I'm in London - I'll do a show - and then a really late dinner.

As for lunches during your "full days" - I'd hang loose and plan to lunch in the general areas where you'll be sightseeing during your full days. Anything special you'd like to see/do (there's lots to see/do in New York - and it is here - there - and everywhere)? Also - don't think you mentioned where you'd be staying (think you haven't made your hotel reservations yet - right?). There are a lot of really good places to eat in New York - and there aren't many that are worth a round trip from downtown to mid-town or further north and back for dinner (or vice versa). Hotels in New York are very very expensive these days - so you might check out hotels - and then plan your eating based on the location of your hotel - and your sightseeing.

Finally - you haven't mentioned what kind of food *you* really *love* to eat. And what kinds of restaurants you're looking for in terms of atmosphere. Particularly on a special (birthday) trip - that would be the question I'd ask first. The point of your trip isn't to "get" what pastrami is like (I happen to like pastrami but would never have a huge sandwich at lunch the night before a fine dinner - too much food). It's to have terrific meals that you and your wife will enjoy. Budget would also be useful information - especially after you check out hotel prices. Robyn

I would recommend elevating Eleven Madison up on your list and order the tasting menu. Chef Humm is doing amazing stuff.  The duck is really great....I think it has been transformed into one of NY's most interesting and creative places.

I agree with this - additionally, if you're a fan of architecture, it's a really great art deco room (I thought it was a longtime bank) - but I like it a lot better during the day, overlooking and getting a lot of pleasing light in from Madison Park, rather than at night when it could be anywhere - same as tabla. I thought they have a prix fixe lunch all-year round, and if so, it's totally worth it

*EDIT* N.B. NYers are not accustomed to seeing much of the sky. We leave the city and remark about how big it is. So the pleasant, anti-S.A.D. affect might not be as pronounced on you.

If I were you I'd do first night at the Bar @ the Modern - it's not much of a commitment, really great food, modern/loungey room, they have great drinks and many wines by the glass, good for drinking your way through the jetlag....

I just tried out Shimizu, and would say he's got to be in the top 10 or even 5 in NYC for authenticity and quality of fish, they also have a bit more reasonable prix fixe and combinations if you are somewhat new to sushi, it's not quite as imposing as Yasuda....

NY Noodletown feels like stepping into a HK dive - if you haven't been to HK, go there - that place has been consistently good for a decade or 2 now...

The reason I'm mentioning prix fixe lunches because some of yours are throwaways and honestly, how often do you come to NY. There are also a lot of deals going at lunchtime. When I've got 5 days in Tokyo, that's merely 10 opportunities to try the many faces of Japanese food.... NY you have a much wider field of the best all sorts of cuisines to try out....

I'm gonna disagree with Robyn - everything is close in Manhattan! And what's better than leaving the subway to go to a 4-star restaurant. I see a lot of tourists who don't venture too far from their Times Square hotels and what a shame that is - they don't even make it to 9th avenue!

Edited by raji (log)

Wow, thank you all for your advice! It's really great to be able to talk to people in the know, because the options are mind-bogglingly huge for such a short trip.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions posed upthread:

Sushi is one of those things that simply hasn't caught on in Dublin. Certainly, there are a couple of Japanese restaurants around, but I'm really not sure that any of them are any good. So it is probable that I've never had good sushi, and NY seems the ideal place (this side of Japan) to educate myself. I think lunch at Yasuda might be a really good idea, especially if it's a little "lighter" than some of the alternatives. If we decide we're not mad on it, then no harm done. I can cope with a disappointing lunch, but not a disappointing dinner!

The point about fighting for a table on the first night is a good one, and the more I think about it, the more I agree that going somewhere we can reserve is probably important. I'll look at some of the options suggested and see what I think, but the Bar Room at the Modern seems to have quite a few votes on this thread.

I don't see us making a trip to Flushing this time round, but if we go to GS I'll definitely stick to the "correct" menu items. Truth be told, I'll know my order before I leave here!

I'm also concerned about having a big lunch at Katz's before a big dinner at WD-50. Still, if it's too much I suppose we don't have to finish it. I was eyeing the half-sandwich option, thinking maybe a half pastrami and a half corned beef. I may indeed consider shifting it's position, as apart from everything else, I assume it's pretty mad there at a Saturday lunchtime? Maybe the plane is the ideal time to wade through a sandwich from Katz's...

EMP is another I'd definitely love to go to, and if we go for another night it will probably get the nod. As much as I think Ramsay would be worth a visit, I can't justify travelling all that distance to eat at one of his restaurants. It doesn't really make sense for us to do that, I don't think.

On the hotel/geography front, I'm hoping to stay somewhere Soho/Village direction. On our last trip we stayed at the Plaza and the time before I stayed near Penn Station. We're looking for something a bit different this time. We have no particular goals for sightseeing, having done many of the "obvious" ones already, so I suppose we're really there to soak up NY atmosphere, in whatever form. It's really the nightlife aspect we want to experience, including food, music etc. I'm sure shopping will feature too... :rolleyes: In any case, I agree that lunch should be geared around where we are. I don't mind travelling for dinner, but I'm reluctant to do it for lunch. Thanks for reminding me of that!

As for what food we love to eat, well, I suppose "French with a modern touch" is probably the best way of describing it. We don't really go for big heavy sauces, and a bit of creativity is always nice. So, classic ingredients with a light touch suits us best. Having said that, we're really flexible and just like to eat!

Budget is not carved in stone, and as long as EUR/USD stays at these levels (1.30 ish) I'll be really happy! Last visit saw EUR/USD at 0.87 or so, that was rough. Basically, I know this is going to be kind of a blow-out financially, but I don't want it to be *too* mad. Four dinners at $1000 each is not an option! Still, you only live once.

Whew, I think that's covered virtually everything for now. I should really get internet access at weekends, then maybe I'd be able to keep up.

Incidentally, if anyone has any must-dos in NY that aren't food related, I'd be delighted to receive some PMs. Local knowledge is always a bonus!

Si

As for what food we love to eat, well, I suppose "French with a modern touch" is probably the best way of describing it. We don't really go for big heavy sauces, and a bit of creativity is always nice. So, classic ingredients with a light touch suits us best.

In that case, you should DEFINITELY consider adding EMP to your list.

But, really, the restaurant it sounds like you're describing is Jean-Georges. Have you been there yet?

Wow, thank you all for your advice! It's really great to be able to talk to people in the know, because the options are mind-bogglingly huge for such a short trip.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions posed upthread:

Sushi is one of those things that simply hasn't caught on in Dublin. Certainly, there are a couple of Japanese restaurants around, but I'm really not sure that any of them are any good. So it is probable that I've never had good sushi, and NY seems the ideal place (this side of Japan) to educate myself. I think lunch at Yasuda might be a really good idea, especially if it's a little "lighter" than some of the alternatives. If we decide we're not mad on it, then no harm done. I can cope with a disappointing lunch, but not a disappointing dinner!

The point about fighting for a table on the first night is a good one, and the more I think about it, the more I agree that going somewhere we can reserve is probably important. I'll look at some of the options suggested and see what I think, but the Bar Room at the Modern seems to have quite a few votes on this thread.

I don't see us making a trip to Flushing this time round, but if we go to GS I'll definitely stick to the "correct" menu items. Truth be told, I'll know my order before I leave here!

I'm also concerned about having a big lunch at Katz's before a big dinner at WD-50. Still, if it's too much I suppose we don't have to finish it. I was eyeing the half-sandwich option, thinking maybe a half pastrami and a half corned beef. I may indeed consider shifting it's position, as apart from everything else, I assume it's pretty mad there at a Saturday lunchtime? Maybe the plane is the ideal time to wade through a sandwich from Katz's...

EMP is another I'd definitely love to go to, and if we go for another night it will probably get the nod. As much as I think Ramsay would be worth a visit, I can't justify travelling all that distance to eat at one of his restaurants. It doesn't really make sense for us to do that, I don't think.

On the hotel/geography front, I'm hoping to stay somewhere Soho/Village direction. On our last trip we stayed at the Plaza and the time before I stayed near Penn Station. We're looking for something a bit different this time. We have no particular goals for sightseeing, having done many of the "obvious" ones already, so I suppose we're really there to soak up NY atmosphere, in whatever form. It's really the nightlife aspect we want to experience, including food, music etc. I'm sure shopping will feature too... :rolleyes: In any case, I agree that lunch should be geared around where we are. I don't mind travelling for dinner, but I'm reluctant to do it for lunch. Thanks for reminding me of that!

As for what food we love to eat, well, I suppose "French with a modern touch" is probably the best way of describing it. We don't really go for big heavy sauces, and a bit of creativity is always nice. So, classic ingredients with a light touch suits us best. Having said that, we're really flexible and just like to eat!

Budget is not carved in stone, and as long as EUR/USD stays at these levels (1.30 ish) I'll be really happy! Last visit saw EUR/USD at 0.87 or so, that was rough. Basically, I know this is going to be kind of a blow-out financially, but I don't want it to be *too* mad. Four dinners at $1000 each is not an option! Still, you only live once.

Whew, I think that's covered virtually everything for now. I should really get internet access at weekends, then maybe I'd be able to keep up.

Incidentally, if anyone has any must-dos in NY that aren't food related, I'd be delighted to receive some PMs. Local knowledge is always a bonus!

Si

Hey Simon,

In terms of hotels, would you think about using priceline.com.. Its a great site for hotel rooms.. And unless you are getting a suite or something, you end up getting the same rooms just a lot cheaper.. Check out the website..

My sister swears by the Mercer hotel for somewhere to stay. No idea what the price is though.

Edit: think she's living in some kind of fantasy world. Although if money were no option, I think I'd stay there...

Edited by Catriona (log)

Jean-Georges will be our final meal, all being well. I've pencilled it in for lunch on the Monday, before our flight home. I'm hoping to leave with happy memories and full stomach! (BTW I don't go for that advice about not eating too much before a transatlantic flight. Anything to make me feel better and hopefully get some sleep sounds like a good idea to me.)

Thinking about it, we probably *will* book our first night, wherever we decide to go. It would probably push me over the edge if I arrived and for some freaky reason had to endure even an hour wait. Besides, it will give us a focus for the evening and ensure we don't just fritter it away. Reading the thread here on the Modern makes me think it's just the right kind of place. The option of putting together as many small plates as we see fit strikes me as an excellent idea for a screwed-up body clock.

EMP is definitely still on the short-list and I'm playing with the potential timetable again. The only problem is, previous trips of the Gastro variety left us really beaten when we went for several serious meals in a row. For example, a 5-day trip to Lyon last year consisted of 3 Michelin-starred restaurants and that nearly finished us off. We vowed never again. For that reason, I think I should mix in some lower-key options.

I'll definitely check out priceline.com.

Thanks again to all.

Si

EMP is definitely still on the short-list and I'm playing with the potential timetable again. The only problem is, previous trips of the Gastro variety left us really beaten when we went for several serious meals in a row. For example, a 5-day trip to Lyon last year consisted of 3 Michelin-starred restaurants and that nearly finished us off. We vowed never again. For that reason, I think I should mix in some lower-key options.

I'll definitely check out priceline.com.

Thanks again to all.

Si

I think unless your name happens to be "Daniel" and have a bottomless stomach :raz: you are wise to mix in some lower key options.

A hotel with a good location in Soho that I have stayed at and enjoyed is 60 Thompson. It is right down the street from Kee's Chocolate's, a small artisanal chocolatier that is well worth visiting. Indeed I would suggest spending some time enjoying some of the more artisanal products available in NYC like chocolates, bread, the Union Square Market, etc.

On another note, we are at odds in terms of the relative strengths of the dollar vs the euro as I am hoping to be in Spain around the time you will be in NY. Obviously my interest is in a strong dollar. :smile: Maybe it will meet in the middle so that it is reasonable for all of us. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thinking about what to advise Si in this thread has really driven home a comment that Bux has made frequently: New York seems virtually unique among cities with major dining scenes in its relative lack of available high-quality walk-in tables. Unless you're dining solo at the bar, there are very few high-quality places here that you can reliably eat at as a walk-in. (You always might luck out -- but you can't be sure.) And the places that don't take reservations tend to have very long waits.

When I travel, I frequently don't make dinner reservations. But I always advise people coming here to do so.

Thinking about what to advise Si in this thread has really driven home a comment that Bux has made frequently:  New York seems virtually unique among cities with major dining scenes in its relative lack of available high-quality walk-in tables.  Unless you're dining solo at the bar, there are very few high-quality places here that you can reliably eat at as a walk-in.  (You always might luck out -- but you can't be sure.)  And the places that don't take reservations tend to have very long waits.

When I travel, I frequently don't make dinner reservations.  But I always advise people coming here to do so.

I always make reservations if I am hoping to dine at specific restaurants. I find that it is better to be prepared and flexible than unprepared and flexible. :smile:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Regarding Katz's - you can always order 1 sandwich and just ask for more slices of bread. There's more than enough meat (plus a single sandwich costs $12 or something anyway) to turn it into 1 1/2 or 2 portions.

Si, the corned beef and brisket are good at Katz's, and the turkey is great, but the pastrami is what you're there for. I wouldn't recommend you try anything else on one visit. Get one whole pastrami sandwich and share it. And as for taking it on the plane, it'll taste great, but it IS better hot.

In terms of Grand Sichuan, there are many good recommendations of dishes to order in the Grand Sichuan thread.

I think you'll really enjoy your adventure!

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm gonna disagree with Robyn - everything is close in Manhattan! And what's better than leaving the subway to go to a 4-star restaurant. I see a lot of tourists who don't venture too far from their Times Square hotels and what a shame that is - they don't even make it to 9th avenue!

That's really high on my list - getting dressed up in my best - heels and all - and schlepping around Manhattan at night in the subway :wacko: . I don't care where a guy has made reservations - that's a good way to piss off his wife or SO on her birthday. I think an essential part of the dinner experience is a nice trip to and from the restaurant. Robyn

Simon - One word of caution about Jean Georges. It has a nice (romantic) patio. But don't make reservations there. We did once - and the night of our reservation it rained like crazy. And the only place they could seat us was at a table in the bar (which we declined). So make your reservation inside. Robyn

That's really high on my list - getting dressed up in my best - heels and all - and schlepping around Manhattan at night in the subway :wacko: . I don't care where a guy has made reservations - that's a good way to piss off his wife or SO on her birthday. I think an essential part of the dinner experience is a nice trip to and from the restaurant. Robyn

That's what taxi cabs are for. :smile: In the grand scheme of the cost of dinner, what the hey. Besides one does want the complete NYC experience. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

That's what taxi cabs are for. :smile: In the grand scheme of the cost of dinner, what the hey. Besides one does want the complete NYC experience. :wink:

Agreed :smile:.

That's one reason why - on a short trip - I'd try to pick a hotel reasonably close to where I was having dinners - assuming my dinners were in one area of town. No reason to stay in Soho if all my dinners were mid-town or north of mid-town (although cabs aren't hugely expensive - they can run $20+ each way from Soho to the upper west side where JG is). Robyn

That's one reason why - on a short trip - I'd try to pick a hotel reasonably close to where I was having dinners - assuming my dinners were in one area of town. No reason to stay in Soho if all my dinners were mid-town or north of mid-town (although cabs aren't hugely expensive - they can run $20+ each way from Soho to the upper west side where JG is). Robyn

But he may save that and possibly more on the room rate.

Twitter - @docsconz

But he may save that and possibly more on the room rate. If it were the reverse, I would be less inclined to recommend it.

Twitter - @docsconz

:biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)