• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Change in Havana Club?

John von Pey

Yesterday I was at a friends liquer store and he told me Havana club was changing the colour of their "golden" rum. It is going to be a bit darker. Does anyone have some more information on this?

Yes, I know that they are planning on launching a new Havana Club Anejo Especial. It is a slightly darker colour than the current version because it is made from a higher percentage of older rums (slightly more 5 year olds than 3 I suppose) which is what gives it it's slightly darker colour. I've managed to get a bottle of it already and it does clearly have a darker colour when placed alongside a current Anejo Especial bottle.

I suspect the thinking behind this is to give it a more premium brand image.

Hope this clears things up for you?

I picked up my first bottle of Havana Club Reserva the other day. It is the first time that I have seen an odd plastic device lodged into the neck of the bottle. It prevents liquid from coming out unless the bottle is turned completely upside down, which makes for a pour that is much too fast and hard to measure.

I find it quite annoying and wish I could take it out...

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday I was at a friends liquer store and he told me Havana club was changing the colour of their "golden" rum. It is going to be a bit darker. Does anyone have some more information on this?

Yes, I know that they are planning on launching a new Havana Club Anejo Especial. It is a slightly darker colour than the current version because it is made from a higher percentage of older rums (slightly more 5 year olds than 3 I suppose) which is what gives it it's slightly darker colour. I've managed to get a bottle of it already and it does clearly have a darker colour when placed alongside a current Anejo Especial bottle.

I suspect the thinking behind this is to give it a more premium brand image.

Hope this clears things up for you?

I haven't been able to buy a bottle yet, but this information was usefull. Thanks.