• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salsa Tasting

fabecooks

Hey all,

I have been recruited for an Exec Chef job for a growing company in Vegas. They want me to do a tasting...no prob. When I submitted my tasting menu, they said it was too fancy and intricate. They want me to do salsas and quesadillas and such. I have 5 courses, and they thought my 1st two were too fancy. I have no problem with salsa ideas, but I am stuck in how I should present them. I do not want to do a martini glass or anything too passe....can anybody give me some ideas to drive me in the right direction of how I can present 3-4 different salsas with chips? I figured I might get exotic with the chips...i.e. baby taro root, yucca, jicama, corn, flour, and implement some food coloring to brighten it up. I hate to say I am at a block....but I am. Any input or help would be exceedingly appreciated. P.S. When I get the job, dinner is on me for the help when you are in vegas.

Could the salsa be presented as a shooter of some sort?

Good luck.

Could you do raw oysters with a cucumber salsa? Does it have to include chips?

Could fried oysters replace the chip?

Not knowing the clientele or price range makes it difficult to target a specific group.

Edited by McDermitt (log)

When I submitted my tasting menu, they said it was too fancy and intricate.  They want me to do salsas and quesadillas and such.  I have 5 courses, and they thought my 1st two were too fancy. 

They thought your first two were too fancy, and they want you to do salsas and quesadillas? Wow.

Try putting the salsas in free-style tortilla cups, made by throwing tortillas in a deep-fryer, shaping them with tongs or a couple of forks.

Methinks you need to aim a little lower.

a few ideas I've done in the past:

spoons (I love those asian spoons)

shot glasses (not practical for dipping, but they look great)

little rammekins (sp?)

Make "vegetable containers" Like cutting a cucomber into a box-shape. Don't really like this one, but we've done it.

Fry your tortillas between serving spoons to make cups

Just place them on top of some garnish over the plate (I'm thinking nori or banana leaf)

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Thanks all, I thought of the tortilla Bowls and figured I would do 3 different salsas in corn tortilla cups. I just thought it may get too soggy and leak after a few minutes.

I had Oysters on my original menu. (Wellfleets with pickled Habanero Citrus Segments, and a Cucumber Chili Lime Popsicle) That is what they thought might be too out there. The Execs just want to enjoy some hearty Mexican food. I thought about 3 different colored Bell Peppers, but did not want to go the route that most catering or banquet menus do. So, I think I will stick with the cups. But you never know. I will keep you all posted, as my tatsing is in 6 days.