• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An evening with wine

Andre

Le Pietre Rosso Veronese

Deep concentrated color with considerable depth.

Concentrated raspberry and prune nose with hints of spice and fresh acidic Mediterranean herbs.

Soft on the entry showing a medium + body, soft fruit and a spicy finish.

Not too complex yet surprisingly traditional style with Northern Rhone like flavors.

Concentrated round and balanced.

Rosso di Montepulciano Carpinetto 2003

A bit slow to open with some olives, ripe and green fruits, interesting with a good concentration.

Soft with a very good acidity, traditional and new oak and a medium short finish. Quite alcoholic at the end. The winemaker had abused the skin to the fullest, yet the grape itself lacks concentration.

The over extraction of the grapes is obvious after 20-30 minutes resulting in harsh tannins. By the time the wine gains balance, not much remains.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Chateau de Beaucastel 1995

Deep red Bordeaux color shifting to red-orange rims.

A concentrated nose jumps up from the glass with a complex yet extremely well balanced bouquet ending with a mildly dusty finish.

Massive and still closed with a huge amount of balanced spice and tannins dominating the back.

30-40 minutes later and the wine shows hints of development yet three to five years is what this wine needs to unveil its true potential.

Drink 2010-2015.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.