• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urgent Muhammara help needed

I'll probably get told that this isn't muhammara, but I wanted to add that I made an excellent version out of Ana Sortun's (chef/owner of Oleana in Cambridge, MA) Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean today. I haven't eaten a lot of muhammara, but I thought this one was delicious, especially with the combination of Aleppo and Urfa chilies. And, yes, it contains garlic.

Here's the paraphrased recipe:

2 large red bell peppers (about 1 lb.), roasted and peeled

4 scallions, finely chopped (I had to sub about 1/4 cup white onion)

1 t. chopped garlic

1/3 cup walnut halves, lightly toasted

1/3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted

1/2 cup finely ground toasted bread crumbs (she notes in another section that she uses panko sometimes, which is what I did here)

1 T. lemon juice

1 T. pomegranate molasses

1 T. Aleppo chilies

1 T. Urfa chilies

1 t. ground cumin

1 T. yogurt

1/4 cup olive oil

3/4 t. salt (to taste)

Remove the seeds from the red peppers and place them in a small mixing bowl. Add scallions, garlic, nuts, bread cumbs, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, chilies, cumin, yogurt, olive oil and salt. Stir to combine. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until smooth. She recommends that you make it in advance, as it improves in flavor as it sits.