• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mousse longevity

Carolyn Tillie

"K" and I are having a debate... I think I can make my mousse parfaits today and have them hold up fine until tomorrow. He thinks they will deflate.

I am going to make lemon and Angostura mousses which will be layered with berries...

thoughts?

I've made mousses in the past and kept them in the fridge for a day or so while I keep eating them. According to Bo Friberg's text, you can keep them up to a couple of days in the refrigerator.

I have made frozen parfaits and mousses one day in advance. You might want to add the berries just before serving.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

its better to have mousse sit over night in my opinion. hell everything prepared is better after 24 hours, except of course the obvious stuff like bananas fosters.

Creme brulee is better if you make the mix, let it set overnight, bake it, let it set overnight again.

Giving the ingredients the proper amount of time to do their thing is just another piece of the art of pastry.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I think Abra amight be right.  The weight and juice of the berries could be a problem.  What about making the mousse in advance but not doing the layering until just beforehand?

that would be the proper way to go

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea