• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anyone know the spelling for:

chiantiglace

Maybe it is a Chef de Partie:

As taught nowadays in modern culinary schools like the Culinary Institute of America, the Kitchen Brigade looks more like this:

In order of their rank, from highest to lowest.

Executive Chef

Executive Sous Chef

Sous Chef

Chef de Partie

There are many kinds of Chef de Parties, Chef de Partie means "station chef" and there are many different stations and hence many different chefs that man them.

To wit:

Grillardier

Poissonier

Rotisseur

Patissier

Potager

Saucier

Entremetier

Etremetier, yes it is different from the one mentioned above.

Garde Manger

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

no, I know all of those chef titles. And that is why I couldnt find it on the net either. It's chef Brigade.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Frankly, it all sounds a bit pretentious to me. What's wrong with assistant sous chef?

Chef de brigade is such a strange term for a kitchen because it is taken from the French military and is something like a colonel. But, I guess if you have to run a kitchen like an army then why not.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

If you want to discuss the structure in the kitchen I have no problem with that, but I think it should be another topic.

Here in my first corporate job I am a little appalled at the ranking system. I personally think it should be Chef, Soux Chef, Cooks. Not all these different ranks for stations and then titles under them, Chef Brigade, Cook III, Cook II, Cook I, Extern/Intern/Apprentice. Its retarded because while people climb the rank their mouth gets bigger until they are at the top and all the sudden they calm down. At least I think because I haven't seen anyone with a big mouth reach it to the top yet.

If you want to give pay raises to seniority, thats fine, but don't promote them "higher" unless there is requirements to follow. If they have the same duties as the ones under them, then they should have the same title.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

If you want to discuss the structure in the kitchen I have no problem with that, but I think it should be another topic.

Here in my first corporate job I am a little appalled at the ranking system.  I personally think it should be Chef, Soux Chef, Cooks.  Not all these different ranks for stations and then titles under them, Chef Brigade, Cook III, Cook II, Cook I, Extern/Intern/Apprentice.  Its retarded because while people climb the rank their mouth gets bigger until they are at the top and all the sudden they calm down.  At least I think because I haven't seen anyone with a big mouth reach it to the top yet.

If you want to give pay raises to seniority, thats fine, but don't promote them "higher" unless there is requirements to follow.  If they have the same duties as the ones under them, then they should have the same title.

Welcome to the Corporate world. I come from a position that had nothing to do with cooking, food, or hospitality. Just change the title, and you have the same system.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side