• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

quick creme fraiche?

phlawless

Has anyone ever done creme fraiche in a yogurt maker before? My title might have been a bit misleading cause I don't necessarily need it fast, just done and chilled in no more than 30 hours or so.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Has anyone ever done creme fraiche in a yogurt maker before? My title might have been a bit misleading cause I don't necessarily need it fast, just done and chilled in no more than 30 hours or so.

I have. I used yogurt starter and heavy cream. I just kept an eye on it until it tasted tart enough but not too much so. It actually thickened up very quickly, so that's not an issue. It tasted 100 times better than any of the creme fraiche that I've found in the US. I don't doubt that there are some good brands at stores somewhere, but certainly not around here.

I usually use a cup of cream and a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk. Shake in a jar or container and let it set ot on the kitchen counter until it's ready (12-24 hours). The prepared creme fraiche is so ridiculously expensive here, and this is so easy, I can't imagine not making it!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I made the yogurt version and the buttermilk one but sour cream is the only thing that gives it a nice spoonable thick creamy consistency. The yogurt one makes the creme fraiche a little too runny (relatively speaking). My method is very simple:

in a jar, mix 2 cups cream and 1/2 cup sour cream, stir well. Close the lid and let it sit at room temp for 24-48 hours. Stir it every several hours and you'll have amazing creme fraiche for a fraction of the price of those tiny tubs they sell at the supermarket. I made some this week to serve with the T-giving butternut squash soup.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

the cultures that exist in creme fraiche are more suited to a lower (slightly above room temp.) temperature for incubation. The ones in yogurt are better suited for temperatures from about 90 to 115. You can make it just by leaving a jar of innoculated heavy creme in your kitchen overnight.