• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Cake

CanadianBakin'

Hi folks. Since I'm almost completely ignorant concerning all baked goods I thought I'd better ask a few questions before attempting this banana recipe.  :rolleyes: 

Ok, I want to use muffin pans instead of baking whole loaves. Should the baking temperature be altered? How long should they stay in? Do I need to grease the muffin cups? Should I use those cupcake papers? I'd like to add extra bananas to increase the banana-y flavor, will that alter anything I should know about? How should they be stored? On a plate under plastic wrap? What do think of the use of lemon zest? Yummy or not?

350F should be fine.

Time will probably be somewhere around 20-30 minutes at 350. Start checking with a toothpick at 15, unless you can see they still look liquidy, in which case you should hold off. Pull them out when you get a a toothpick with a few tiny crumbs but no liquid.

If you use an unlined muffin tin, definitely grease them, or better yet use an oil+flour spray. Nothing is more frustrating than beatiful muffins that cantr be extricated from a baking pan deathgrip. Paper liners will work fine, and you're certain not to have any release problems. Fill them about 2/3 full. You may want to bake a few test muffins to see how full you can fill the liners or muffin tins without them overflowing.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Hi folks. Since I'm almost completely ignorant concerning all baked goods I thought I'd better ask a few questions before attempting this banana recipe.  :rolleyes: 

Ok, I want to use muffin pans instead of baking whole loaves. Should the baking temperature be altered? How long should they stay in? Do I need to grease the muffin cups? Should I use those cupcake papers? I'd like to add extra bananas to increase the banana-y flavor, will that alter anything I should know about? How should they be stored? On a plate under plastic wrap? What do think of the use of lemon zest? Yummy or not?

350F should be fine.

Time will probably be somewhere around 20-30 minutes at 350. Start checking with a toothpick at 15, unless you can see they still look liquidy, in which case you should hold off. Pull them out when you get a a toothpick with a few tiny crumbs but no liquid.

If you use an unlined muffin tin, definitely grease them, or better yet use an oil+flour spray. Nothing is more frustrating than beatiful muffins that cantr be extricated from a baking pan deathgrip. Paper liners will work fine, and you're certain not to have any release problems. Fill them about 2/3 full. You may want to bake a few test muffins to see how full you can fill the liners or muffin tins without them overflowing.

Thank you, Patrick. The muffins took about 23 minutes and turned out fine. That oil/flour spray is darn handy!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 6 months later...

I am going to make Wendy's banana cake tonight. I am planning on filling it with pastry cream and sliced bananas and then frosting with a cream cheese frosting. Is it okay to refrigerate the cake overnight until serving time tomorrow, or will that cause it to lose some of its moistness?

Thanks so much!

Where I'm at in the mid-west US it's almost impossible to find also, even wholesale. I mix my own when I want it, very unscientificly.........I usually do half cake and half ap. flour. I never really know what the exact gluten level is in my ap. flour so I can't be very methodical about blending my flour. I've gotten alot looser in working with flours and don't always follow the recipe to a T. I think method has a more dramatic impact, unless your using bread flour and mixing endlessly.

Yeah, I hardly ever see pastry flour, at least where I shop. I found this little tidbit...

"It can be a challenge to find pastry flour. Even well-stocked supermarkets seldom carry more varieties than cake flour, all-purpose flour (9% to 12% protein), and bread flour. If you can't find pastry flour, you can mix you own by combining cake flour and all-purpose flour in a ratio somewhere between of two parts cake flour to one part all-purpose and one part cake flour to one part all-purpose."

Edited by RodneyCk (log)

• 4 months later...