• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Bean Question

BrianYarvin

Hi Everybody:

I've been searching for a good source for dried marrowfat peas and have come up with all too little; tiny boxes in British shops and tiny-er sacks in fancy Italian groceries.

Does anybody here know of anything better in the U.S.? Perhaps a supplier of exotic and unusual beans? (Okay...our British members must be rolling in the aisles seeing the main ingredient of mushy peas being described as "exotic," but that's what it's come to.)

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Hi Everybody:

I've been searching for a good source for dried marrowfat peas and have come up with all too little; tiny boxes in British shops and tiny-er sacks in fancy Italian groceries.

Does anybody here know of anything better in the U.S.? Perhaps a supplier of exotic and unusual beans? (Okay...our British members must be rolling in the aisles seeing the main ingredient of mushy peas being described as "exotic," but that's what it's come to.)

I just looked at the list Steve has available right now at Rancho Gordo and don't see any. But there is no doubt, he should be your 'go to' source for heirloom beans

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Hi Everybody:

I just looked at the list Steve has available right now at Rancho Gordo and don't see any. But there is no doubt, he should be your 'go to' source for heirloom beans

thanks. It feels like "old home" week here on eG. We grow Marrow beans, which are a small white bean, not a pea. In fact, we only grown indigenous beans to the Americas, which is why we grow Flageolet but not lentils.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Hi Everybody:

Here's a website in Holland that sells a 1000 gram bag.

As for the US, a lot of ex-pat British Goods sites sell them at varying prices. Here's an example (at the bottom of the page).

You might also try contacting the Slow Food people to see if they know of a US source.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You might also try contacting the Slow Food people to see if they know of a US source.

The Slow Food bean that's on the Ark of Taste refers to the Marrow or Marrowfat bean, not a pea.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Hi Again!

Thank you for your comments everybody.

While I cannot speak for the whole of England, it's my understanding that mushy peas are supposed to be made from marrowfat peas. In fact, the dried peas sold for this purpose in British markets are labeled "Marrowfat Peas."

And thank you too for the expat goods links. This is where I've been finding them and will probably continue to do so.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

When you have found them and cooked them, try them with malt vinegar or mint sauce (UK specific reference there I guess).

I cooked up my first batch yesterday with peas I bought from a British shop in Manhattan and they were really great.

While eating, I took your advice and splashed some malt vinegar on them. Thanks for the tip.

BTW...both malt vinegar and mint sauce are easily found in the British section of my local supermarket (which is mostly sauces, jams, and cookies), it's those dried peas that have thrown me.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

We use a great local company here in Napa called Rancho Gordo. They have all kinds of heirloom beans and lthe like. Awesome people. We use them at EdK and we also used them at TFL.  -Chef Johnny

Here's another vote for Rancho Gordo. I first found out about that company here on eG. Steve (the owner) used to be a very frequent poster on eG and even though the company now keeps him busy, he still posts here from time to time. I know that anyone that has special questions about varieties of beans can PM him here, and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer.

I'm a regular customer of his and every single thing I've ordered from Rancho Gordo has been wonderful -- fresh and flavorful.

He's got a little video primer on youtube:

He's a wonderful resource and also is trying to do his bit for the environment, so in addition to the fact that his product is terrific, he's one of the 'good guys' and deserves our support.

Not to mention that if his beans are good enough for the French Laundry, they're good enough for me.

:smile:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Phipps Country Store and Farm based in Pescadero, CA also does a large mail order business in beans and dried peas. They have "marrow beans" listed on their website, but they are currently described as a "out of stock". One may be able to get more information by contacting them.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"