• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nougat is too soft, any remedies?

foodie3

i made the nougat (kerry beal's recipe from recipe gullet), it set up to a very soft consistency - doesn't hold its shape and very sticky, i wonder whether there is anything i can do know to remedy this.

my plan at the moment is to roll it in chopped pistachios and serve in small paper cups.

Not so sure what can be done to rescue this batch, I like your idea of the chopped pistachio. You might try sprinkling with a bit of cornstarch to facilitate working with the sticky stuff, cutting into small chunks and dipping each into tempered chocolate.

Next batch try beating the nougat a bit longer before adding the nuts. Did you add any cocoa butter? I ask because if you did, how you add it can affect setting up.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Not so sure what can be done to rescue this batch, I like your idea of the chopped pistachio.  You might try sprinkling with a bit of cornstarch to facilitate working with the sticky stuff, cutting into small chunks and dipping each into tempered chocolate.

Next batch try beating the nougat a bit longer before adding the nuts.  Did you add any cocoa butter?  I ask because if you did, how you add it can affect setting up.

i am quite sure that i didn't beat long enough, i was afraid that i would not be able to add the nuts if it cools off too much. it tastes fine, but a pita to work with!

i used a silpat sheet, and found that cornstarch/powdered sugar mixture didn't help much. i added no cocoa butter or almond paste. thanks for your help

Hello,

I would try to cook the sugar to a little higher temp? are you using egg whites to make this or no?

Either way Kerry is on here so she will be able to remedy something. I have just had my nougat not stand up before as well and I just needed to cook it to a slightly high temp.

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

If you've already added the sugar to the egg whites and have found the mixture is still too soft you can always heat the sides of the bowl with a heat gun or blow torch (while the machine is still running) to make the final product firmer.

I have had to do this a couple of times when it didn't start to thicken with continued beating, I take the heat gun to it or put briefly over a double boiler while beating, I do have a blow torch in the kitchen but I haven't tried that so far.

• 2 years later...

I've been PMing Kerry because I had the same problem as foodie3. There is only one vague component of Kerry's recipe - "continue to beat until stiffens." I'm dismissing my altitude on this flop, and think it has to do with what "stiffens" means. Can anyone give me a specific sign that would suggest I stiffened enough? These were plenty stiff when I cut and packed them. The oozing happened the next morning, and no - we don't have humidity so that's not a factor.

As you can tell, it didnt' stop me from eating the whole batch, but it would have been nice to sell them for the holidays.

gallery_41282_4652_14084.jpg

Geez, Louise, mine's been soft - but never quite that soft!

So the first thing is thermometer - you need to be sure that your sugar has gotten to the right temperature.

Given they looked OK when they hit the packaging and they have liquified like that overnight - it almost looks like something has dissolved. That's kind of the look that cordials have when the invertase starts to work on the sucrose crystals.

• 8 years later...

I hope 9 years isn't too late to add to this thread. A similar thing happened to me. My nougat set up to about the consistency of marshmallow creme. I later found out my candy thermometer was broken and very likely I didn't heat the syrup high enough (it had just barely begun a hard crack stage but was threading==once I began to question the thermometer I went back to the drop a bit in water method.  Nevertheless, my egg whites were very stiff and I beat with my mixer a long time til it was a shiny heavy mass. I set it up in pans in a covered plastic box in the garage (got down to about 40 degrees in there overnight) but still...unbelievably delicious marshmallow creme.

I can salvage it as centers to tempered chocolates but that's a lot of chocolates.  If I were to warm it, to make it runnier, return it to the bowl and make a much hotter syrup--say 290 or 295, then add and continue to beat...well actually that doesn't sound like it would work at all--too thick to beat. Sigh. We only have a few days a year dry enough to make nougat...I'll put it in a box with desiccant per reenicake but don't think there's a save here beyond the chocolate. Needless to say, I have a lot more nougat than chocolate. B

I was taught that in addition to having your sugar at the right temperature, it's important to test the nougat as you beat it, if it's cooling down and still not making a nice firm consistency when  you put it in iced water, you need to apply heat to the bowl to evaporate more water from the mixture until you get the consistency you want.

• Like 5