• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet potato gratin

viaChgo

I'm making a sweet potato and apple gratin for t-giving and did a test run this past weekend. I layered raw sweet potato slices, seasoned w/s&p, then sliced apples, nutmeg, dotted with butter, and then repeat. I then poured in heavy cream til it god almost to the top layer. I sprinkled grated white cheddar on top, covered with foil & baked at 350 for an hour.

The taste was great. However, it was a bit soupy & the cream looked like it had separated. I was hoping for creamy and thick enough for all the layers to hold together.

Any tips? Too much cream? Should I bake uncovered? Higher heat?

Thanks!

I made one last year and the same thing happened to me - nice flavor (add a little chipotle pepper), but it was soupy. I haven't tried it since, but if i was - two thoughts - maybe add a few Idaho potatoes to incorporate some starch into it which would help with the thickening and only cover it for part of the cooking which would allow for some evaporation.

Liquid could be sweating out of the apples during the baking, thats probably why it's a bit soupy.....the sweet potatoes themselves should have enough starch to hold it together. If its far too soupy, I would make a loose bechamel sauce instead of just pouring on the heavy cream. Or reduce down your heavy cream beore pouring it into the pan to account for extra liquid that exudes from the apples during the baking.

Thanks to everyone for their tips!

I decided to make my gratin the night before & reheat it at the house where we were having Thanksgiving dinner. It turned out great!

here's what I did. I incorporated 2 thin layers of russet potatoes to increase the starch content. I also used less cream & also heated it. I used just enought to moisten everything.

After it came out of the oven, I was a little concerened because it looked like the cream had split and it still looked a bit soupy. However, after it sat in the frig overnight and then was reheated, it was perfect! All the liquid had been absorbed and the layers had firmed up!

It was delicious! A great combo...sweet potatoes & apple.

just saw this. i'd run into the same thing: sweet potatoes lack the starch that regular potatoes do, so they won't thicken the cream. the best result i had was from baking the potatoes separately, peeling and slicing them, then moistening them with cream and sprinkling them with gruyere and baking again briefly.