• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Cocktail Bars in the Southeast

Nathan

Didn't catch his name, but the gentleman behind the bar at Repast (620 N Glen Iris Dr) is a cocktailian, and the bar at The Glenn Hotel (110 Marietta NW) is stocked for one. Bring a few recipes and take advantage of their Maraschino, Chartreuse, and the like.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

there appears to be another mixologist in Atlanta -- Greg Best at Eugene.

http://www.sundaypaper.com/FOOD/FoodArchiv...ping-Block.aspx

unfortunately, the few drink recipes of his that I've located online have tended toward the vodka and fruit end of things...(perhaps out of commercial necessity?)

Don't believe everything you read. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case the glass. I've had several cocktails at Eugene and can tell you Greg is very dedicated to what he does in spite of the fact that commercial vodka drinks are the commercial necessity to keep a bar open. But just ask him to serve you a good drink and he won't disappoint you.

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Didn't catch his name, but the gentleman behind the bar at Repast (620 N Glen Iris Dr) is a cocktailian, and the bar at The Glenn Hotel (110 Marietta NW) is stocked for one. Bring a few recipes and take advantage of their Maraschino, Chartreuse, and the like.

Andrew Minchow is the man behind the bar at Repast.

Although I certainly haven't been in every city in the country, I do spend more than my share of time traveling.

From what I've seen, Manhattan has to be considered the first city of cocktails in the US.

I'd nominate San Francisco as the second and Atlanta would be third.

Before you flame me for being too simplistic, Seattle, among other cities has a very real cocktail culture but the state run alcohol distribution system in Washington leaves a lot of bar chefs scratching their heads when it comes to ingredients.

(There's a reason Robert Hess wears a bulging coat whenever he goes out.)

Other places like Florida are more geared to the tourist drinker where the trendy fair resembles the pages of a glossy fashion magazines more than the pinnacle of the art of bartending.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.