• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clementine peels

Kahrs

I have a recipe for a chocolate tart with clementines, peels and all. My simple question: the clementine box always has a note about the use of fumigants and culinary grade wax. Can I use the peel directly or should I (a) scrub peels carefully or (b) skin and forget about the peel?

You could rinse the clementines thoroughly with water and soak them in water with vinegar for 5 to 15 minutes. Use about 2 tablespoons of vinegar to a litre of water. Rinse them with water again before use.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Buy organic?

I've been wanting to make candied peel, but can't find any organic oranges that are within my price range (think poor student).

here's what I do - go to the local co-op/natural food store/whatever produce manager; ask who is ordering cases of organic citrus fruits to juice; contact them and ask if you can pick up their peels every 5 days or so - you'll get a decent quantity this way, and for free. Also if there's a juice bar in town they are likely to be throwing out organic peels and would be glad to give them to you.

here's a candied orange peel dragon

Buy organic?

I've been wanting to make candied peel, but can't find any organic oranges that are within my price range (think poor student).

here's what I do - go to the local co-op/natural food store/whatever produce manager; ask who is ordering cases of organic citrus fruits to juice; contact them and ask if you can pick up their peels every 5 days or so - you'll get a decent quantity this way, and for free. Also if there's a juice bar in town they are likely to be throwing out organic peels and would be glad to give them to you.

here's a candied orange peel dragon

Ooh! I didn't think about that! Thanks!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

At any health food store you can find a spray bottle of stuff that is made specifically to remove the wax from fruit. It works. It isn't cheap.

However, I use baking soda, dry - I buy it in the large industrial size at Smart & Final - you can find it at other places.

I put a couple of cups of the soda in a bowl - dry - and scrub the fruit with the stuff. It is just abrasive enough to remove all the wax and it works on apples, pears, citrus of any kind, etc.

You can test the surface of the fruit by scraping it with an inverted teaspoon.

The local health food market puts the entire fruit through the juicer, peel and all. Perhaps yours is different. However it is more time consuming to peel the fruit which is why most of these places use whole fruit.

I get most of the citrus I use for candied peel from a grower in Ojai. His brother is a neighbor and brings me 5-gallon plastic buckets full of beautiful, untreated citrus. They know I like the kind with the thicker skin for candying so that is what I get. Most people prefer the fruit with finer pores, smoother, indicating thinner skin.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett