• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

light cream

Vervain

Does anyone know who carries light cream in the L.A. area? The British call it "single cream," and it's about 20% milk fat. It's between half & half and heavy cream.

I've already tried Gelsons, Ralphs, Whole Foods, and Surfas.

thanks!

Emily

I guess this may sound stupid, but why not buy half-&-half and heavy cream and just mix it yourself?

But, you might also want to call Bristol Farms -- I seem to recall they carried two grades of cream...

I guess this may sound stupid, but why not buy half-&-half and heavy cream and just mix it yourself?

But, you might also want to call Bristol Farms -- I seem to recall they carried two grades of cream...

Not stupid at all. I'm doing recipe-testing for someone back East and try to stick to the ingredients exactly as described. I wrote to her about the problem and suggested exactly what you did. She wants me to try just the half & half and see how that goes.

And I just called Bristol Frams; no dice.

Emily

Vervain -- Any luck yet? It seems as if you've searched all the usual suspects. One other thought -- which is a shot in the dark -- have you called the Monsieur Marcel at the Farmers Market? The store part, not the restaurant.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Vervain -- Any luck yet?  It seems as if you've searched all the usual suspects.  One other thought -- which is a shot in the dark -- have you called the Monsieur Marcel at the Farmers Market?  The store part, not the restaurant.

No, no luck. But I haven't called M. Marcel. Great idea!

However, in the end, the person I'm recipe-testing for is back East and wants to know about general availability. If So.Cal. folks can't easily obtain an ingredient, she needs to offer substitutions.

Emily

uhm, i think light cream IS half-and-half.

uhh, russ, with all due respect, I found a chart on p. 29 of McGee's "On Food and Cooking" that lists the different kinds of cream by increasing fat content (%):

Half-and-half: 12 (10.5-18)

Light cream: 20 (18-30)

Light whipping cream: 30-36

Whipping cream: 35+

Heavy whipping cream: 38 (36+)

Plastic cream: 65-85

Also, McGee states:

Heavy cream can be diluted with milk to approximate light cream, or whipped to make a spreadable semisolid.

I fear that I made this as clear as mud now. Sorry ... :unsure:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 2 weeks later...