• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NPR's This I Believe

star792

I caught the This I Believe on the radio this morning and I really was touched. I really like the series anyway but this one was food related so i thought I would share. A twenty three yr old girl wrote about baking and how it keeps her tied with her past and adding new family recipes brings it into the present.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6504941

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg

I caught the This I Believe on the radio this morning and I really was touched. I really like the series anyway but this one was food related so i thought I would share.  A twenty three yr old girl wrote about baking and how it keeps her tied with her past and adding new family recipes brings it into the present.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6504941

This will be the second eGullet thread today I've posted this link to!

Not so surprising, I guess, since what could be a more appropriate topic for discussion this time of year than the link between food memories and Grandmothers?

SB :smile:

Weekend edition of the Wall St. Journal's pursuits section has a food section. this week's articles are about remembering mom, grandma, etc. through their recipes and how sometimes they're so hard to decipher from the note cards. If you didnt' learn to cook your fav's while they were alive, it might be a bit difficult to translate measurements, ingredients etc. to modern equivalents. They list web sites that can help with all that, I believve there are at least 4. If you can't find a copy and need those sites, let me know and I'll post them here.

Weekend edition of the Wall St. Journal's pursuits section has a food section. this week's articles are about remembering mom, grandma, etc. through their recipes and how sometimes they're so hard to decipher from the note cards. If you didnt' learn to cook your fav's while they were alive, it might be a bit difficult to translate measurements, ingredients etc. to modern equivalents. They list web sites that can help with all that, I believve there are at least 4. If you can't find a copy and need those sites, let me know and I'll post them here.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'd missed these articles on online.wsj. (A big disadvantage in subscribing to the online version of The Wallstreet Journal is that it's easy to miss running across interesting articles by chance.)

I have the original cookbook my Grandmother brought with her from Austria in the early 1900's. My problem is, it's written in Serbo-Croation .... in Cyrillic Script! :shock:

SB :sad: