• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge (Round 9)

alanamoana

Michael, that's an incredible dessert. I think it's one I would just fall in love with - all that citrus flavour - what a way to finish a meal. Thanks for taking so much effort to create something we can all admire.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Michael,

What a beautiful dessert! Very colourful and festive, perfect for New Year's! Can you explain a bit more the process that you followed for the Lime crème brulee "Legos" with the bubble wrap? Did you cook up the brulee recipe and then pour it onto the bubble wrap? I would think the brulee mix would be too hot... it's a fantastic end result. I trust recipes will be posted?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Michael,

What a beautiful dessert! Very colourful and festive, perfect for New Year's! Can you explain a bit more the process that you followed for the Lime crème brulee "Legos" with the bubble wrap? Did you cook up the brulee recipe and then pour it onto the bubble wrap? I would think the brulee mix would be too hot... it's a fantastic end result. I trust recipes will be posted?

It would be just like pour melted chocolate down onto the bubble wrap. If the mix is too hot the gelatin is going to be destroyed too.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

This is a great way to end the year! What a wonderful dessert!

To me, it looks as if the bubble wrap was pressed onto the surface of the curd, the uniform thickness of the bottom part is what makes me think it was poured into a frame or pan and then left to set a little, then the (sprayed with a pan release maybe?) bubble wrap pressed on.

Bravo, dejaq!

Michael,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, it been a long day,

the gellified brulee is made with a mixture of curd, pastry cream, and gelatine (sheets) it actually is not hot when poured over (vegaline sprayed) bubble wrap and allowed to set freeze or refrig.), it's pretty easy. hot fresh curd and pastry cream would probably melt the plastic, if not pop the bubbles, it would be a mess.

make your components before hand, let them cool, bloom your gelatine sheets, heat, temper and add all ingredients together.

hope this helps...

BTW, although I was instructed not to do this, a gellie of champagne or white wine in the bubble impression would work very nicely, Filipe - hint/hint...

Michael Robert Porru

Michael,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, it been a long day,

the gellified brulee is made with a mixture of curd, pastry cream, and gelatine (sheets) it actually is not hot when poured over (vegaline sprayed) bubble wrap and allowed to set freeze or refrig.), it's pretty easy. hot fresh curd and pastry cream would probably melt the plastic, if not pop the bubbles, it would be a mess.

make your components before hand, let them cool, bloom your gelatine sheets, heat, temper and add all ingredients together.

hope this helps...

BTW, although I was instructed not to do this, a gellie of champagne or white wine in the bubble impression would work very nicely, Filipe - hint/hint...

Michael Robert Porru

:laugh::raz:

champagne gelee would have been too easy michael! you know it.

your dessert it 100x better, without a champagne gelee...not that there's anything wrong with a champagne gelee...just wanted to see something different.

you definitely delivered.

Michael,

In case anyone was looking for the brulee recipe, here it is:

Gellified Creme Brulee

Michael

The dessert is entitled, “ a warm Macedonia of Winter Citrus Fruits”... As you can see, it gets a bit sophisticated... Enjoy!,

Michael  :smile:

gallery_21390_3929_790465.jpg

DAMN!

Truly exquisite work.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com