• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Dinner Impossible"

johnnyd

I quite enjoy this show. It seems to show more of the cooking than other so-called reality shows. Is it at all similar to the way a real restaurant kitchen functions?

I would like to hear what other E-gulleteers think of the show. I couldn't find any other references to it and I apologise if this thread exists elsewhere.

I like it. I don't really know how real the scenarios are, but I enjoy watching Chef pull it all together with whatever team and conditions he has to work with.

Seems that the first season challenges were a bit more difficult than this season's, but they're still enjoyable. My favorite episode was when he had to cook an historically accurate Colonial American meal in a kitchen with the fireplace.

My least favorite episode was the one with Guy Guy Fieri. I seem to recall he was wearing flip-flops and, well, he irritates me for reasons I won't go into.

I like Robert Irvine. :cool: He's borderline goofy in a Royal Marine kinda way.

I quite enjoy this show. It seems to show more of the cooking than other so-called reality shows.  Is it at all similar to the way a real restaurant kitchen functions?

I would like to hear what other E-gulleteers think of the show.  I couldn't find any other references to it and I apologise if this thread exists elsewhere.

Actually, he pulls his show off the same way a chef would pull any party/banquet together at the last moment. This guy isnt just some sloutch Chef that they thought would be fun to watch, he has done a lot of major events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Irvine

Count me in as a fan as well. If for no other reason than HELLO, actual cooking on FN after 5:00 p.m.

I like watching the process, and watching Chef Irvine pull a rabbit out of his hat in each situation. He seems like a good leader and motivator as well, and I enjoy watching someone pull together a team and inspire them, by leadership and example, instead of haranguing, to do their best.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I like the show very much as well. I'm really fascinated with watching how very large quantities of food are put together and prepared.....if FN creates a show with nothing but footage from a huge hotel or cruise ship kitchen I may actually have to invest in a DVR.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I like the show very much as well.  I'm really fascinated with watching how very large quantities of food are put together and prepared.....if FN creates a show with nothing but footage from a huge hotel or cruise ship kitchen I may actually have to invest in a DVR.

They have. A few years ago, they had a series called "Into the Fire" that profiled various restaurants at different levels, (like the Cheesecake Factory chain and Trio in Chicago). A few episodes focused on large hotel operations, including the Bellagio in Las Vegas. That one was particularly fasinating.

It DID pop up in re-run earlier this year, so there is no telling if it might ever return. If you can get a hold of some of these episodes, it's really good stuff.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

This is must-see TV for me.

The Good:

I like seeing him pull a menu togther and I like watching the food prep.

The Bad:

Some of the conflict seems staged.

The Ugly:

Not getting to taste the food he comes up with.

For a mild chuckle: Wednesday night I'm lounging in bed watching the Pixar episode (and really enjoying it) when my wife tells me that my daughter needs me to get my hotel pans off of the dining room table (finished up a 6 weekend run of volunteer cooking and haven't got them put away yet). I wait for a commercial and then went to move them and start laughing to myself - I'm watching a pro cook and during the commercial I'm moving my own commercial stuff. Since I'm not anything close to a food professional (I'm an engineer) I found this amusing.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I like the show very much as well.  I'm really fascinated with watching how very large quantities of food are put together and prepared.....if FN creates a show with nothing but footage from a huge hotel or cruise ship kitchen I may actually have to invest in a DVR.

They have. A few years ago, they had a series called "Into the Fire" that profiled various restaurants at different levels, (like the Cheesecake Factory chain and Trio in Chicago). A few episodes focused on large hotel operations, including the Bellagio in Las Vegas. That one was particularly fasinating.

It DID pop up in re-run earlier this year, so there is no telling if it might ever return. If you can get a hold of some of these episodes, it's really good stuff.

Oh man, I LOVED Into the Fire! I caught the episode late one night in the past week or so that focused on N9NE Steakhouse at the Palms in Las Vegas. A great concept.....no drama, no BS, no "characters", just huge volumes of food being churned out.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Oh man, I LOVED Into the Fire!  I caught the episode late one night in the past week or so that focused on N9NE Steakhouse at the Palms in Las Vegas.  A great concept.....no drama, no BS, no "characters", just huge volumes of food being churned out.

I'd completely forgottem about Into The Fire. I really enjoyed that show. My clearest memory was a chef finding out that there was a private buffet for 500 people coming up at midnight that he didn't know about. He had to create a menu and get it cooked by his staff of line cooks inbetween preparing the food for the current service.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;