• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Dinner Impossible"

johnnyd

The new reality series drops a chef in a remote location who is challenged with finding everything needed to prepare a gourmet meal for 200 by 6pm.

The pilot was filmed on Isleford, Maine (see "2006 Harvest Supper") October 6th for airing January 2007.

Chef Robert Irvine, two sous chefs and a FTV crew arrived on Little Cranberry Island, a 45 minute ferry ride off Mt. Desert Island, and immediately commandeered all available kitchen space and gear on the island...

When asked if she [Erin Gray of Erin's Market] might have 25 pounds of scallions on hand, she just laughed. “Do you know how many scallions that is? No one uses 25 pounds of scallions!”

Vivid reporting by Working Waterfront.com

The event raised over $2000 for the new salt water pumper-tank truck for the Islesford Volunteer Fire Department.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Great challenge--what other "remote" locations are on tap?

My cousin's (first) wedding was on Little Cranberry. Fewer than 200 guests at the reception, but come to think of it, they offered a buffet of breads, cheeses, and fruit. Nothing cooked on site!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Great challenge--what other "remote" locations are on tap?

I couldn't find anything about it on the FTV site when I searched for a reference or blurb to link on my post. I'd imagine they are waiting for more material to fill a page or two first? Either that or I didn't look hard enough.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

This is a serious question: Do they play the "Mission Impossible" music? Do the assignment disintegrate, and do the chefs descend into the walk-ins via cable? :hmmm:

I'm torn between wanting this to be a cheesed-up ripoff of MI, and wanting it to just be what it's supposed to be.

And I can't think of Colonial Williamsburg any more without thinking of Colonial Dunsboro (Choke, Chuck Palahniuk). :wacko:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This is a serious question:  Do they play the "Mission Impossible" music? Do the assignment disintegrate, and do the chefs descend into the walk-ins via cable?  :hmmm:

I'm torn between wanting this to be a cheesed-up ripoff of MI, and wanting it to just be what it's supposed to be.

And I can't think of Colonial Williamsburg any more without thinking of Colonial Dunsboro (Choke, Chuck Palahniuk).  :wacko:

Colonial Dunsboro?

I got the skinny on the CW show this weekend. The chef in questions has two assistants who are members of the Historic Foodways staff, and they prepare a meal for the rest of the kitchen staff in one of the colonial kitchens. I do not know about any theme music, however. Being the FN I suspect that it is rather cheesy, and not in a good way (think Velveeta rather than aged cheddar).

• 1 month later...
If you could combine James Bond with MacGyver, you would get Robert Irvine, a real life chef extraordinaire and the host of Food Network’s Dinner: Impossible.

Premiere is January 24th 10/9c

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 weeks later...

I heard a rumor that an episode of Dinner: Impossible" was shot in Harrisburg, PA for the Governor's Inaugural Ball - which was held at the Farm Show Complex just three days after the conclusion of the Pennsylvania Farm Show. Should be interesting... since the morning of the Inaugural, I heard the farm show folks were still trying to get the farm show odors out of the building...

Those two episodes are the only ones that have aired thus far. While I don't hate this show, the chef's arms kind of freak me out. They're creepily big. Overall, he seems like a poor man's Gordon Ramsay, but I must admit the tailgate challenge was pretty cool. Although the food was far from awe-inspiring it was interesting to see what he could pull out of nowhere. It's amazing how much help a camera crew can buy you.

I think some of the fun with the tailgate episode was the "15 minute of fame factor." You just know those tailgater guys helped out because they got to be on tv and go to the luxury boxes... The chef had to work with whatever resources he had and the fame factor was one on his side. But notice another guy wouldn't part with his lousy grill come h*ll or high water, or tv stardom...

And Bryan..about those arms...kinda sexy to some of us womenfolk....

The tailgate eipsode was amusing. I liked when the guy came back with 15 minutes left and demanded his grill back. The chef offered to give them all food, about 20 of them, and the guy said no, I just want my grill. He kept repeating it until they gave him the grill back.

So my question is: was the guy with the grill that big an A or was it all a part of the "drama" for us rubes?

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

No, I really think the guy needed his grill! He had all those pals hanging around ribbing him about giving up his damn grill to some TV crew while they go hungry, so he was finally goaded into action. He had to come back with it or he would suffer mondo-humiliation. Peer pressure brings results!

I learned a few useful tricks as well, and going down to the wire reminds me of many a moment in BOH. Bonus feature: All recipes are on the Food TV website - here.

I want to see the Maine Island episode. :angry:

Portland Food Map.com

Does anyone know anything about Robert Irvine?  There was a hotshot Executive Chef in Atlantic City a few years ago with the same name, I'm wondering if it's him.

Yea it is him. Thought this little blurb was interesting:

In February, 2005, Robert had the honor of creating a dynamic team of chefs, including Todd English, Ming Tsai, Rocco Dispirito, Roberta Donna and Guillermo Pernot to produce "The Children Uniting Nations" Oscar dinner in Hollywood, which was named by the Los Angeles Times:  the most incredible food on Oscar night.

Really surprised Rocco and his ego didn't take up all the space in the room.

Anyways the bit on Irvine is here.

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

It would be cool if they could use the MI music, but I'm sure that would cost WAAAAY more $$$ than FN wants to shell out- those nasty little BMI rights & all....

so far everything he's cooked has looke good, and the people eating it seem to agree it's wonderful, but would they really say it s**ked?

...and I like the arms, but all they shaved heads....not so much

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans....

• 2 weeks later...
How was the Williamsburg episode? Did my former compatriots behave themselves?

Haven't seen that, or the Maine Island show yet. There's a show on a moving train running now, and a show starting soon about a Florida Cattle Drive... :huh:

Portland Food Map.com

Eh, I like the concept and the first couple shows I watched were good enough to put it on my Tivo recording list. But, to be honest, the show does nothing for me anymore. Its kinda boring. Its not what I'd expect it to turn into with guys as talented as they are. Unless they change their show style, Im afraid I may just stop watching it all together.

Can someone fill me in on the dinner train episode? I'm kicking myself for missing it.

I've worked as a chef for 15 years, but I took a 2 year break to work for Union Pacific RR as a conductor (freight, not passenger), so I was really interested to see what the deal was with Irvine and the Conductor on that train.

This is a serious question:  Do they play the "Mission Impossible" music? Do the assignment disintegrate, and do the chefs descend into the walk-ins via cable?  :hmmm:

And I can't think of Colonial Williamsburg any more without thinking of Colonial Dunsboro (Choke, Chuck Palahniuk).  :wacko:

I think that the brilliance of the Food Network is slowly becoming apparent. It is not about food!

Food is merely a hook a sort of general theme. Obviously, the audience that is really interested in cooking and learning about cooking is limited. The audience for game shows and thrillers and travelogues and challenges and throw downs and....

well, let's say this audience is quite large!

What's so compelling about watching someone cook a meal (for most people)?

However--have someone cook a meal under duress or even a simple time limit and now you got drama, action, mystery, intrigue, comedy--can the girl next door prepare food for a ten person superbowl party--in time for the kickoff ---in just thirty minutes!!!???

Let other networks drop a survivalist into an impossible situation and make do--the Food Network will have him have to prepare a dinner for eight--before nightfall!!!! ---now that's entertainment!

These folks know exactly what they are doing. :wink: