• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Observer Food Monthly

You've got to love a thread that sways violently from the merits of OFM to the rights and wrongs of town and county boundaries.

I was born and brought up in Timperley, Altrincham and after 10 years away in Sheffield (SOUTH Yorkshire, but that's another arguement) returned, happy to be home. It is firmly in the North West - Gordon Burns tells me so every night at 6.30. A part of Greater Manchester and Cheshire as far as I'm concerned, it's the Warrington postcode I cant get on board with.

As for my comment about Chorlton, it was in truth meant with tongue in cheek and I agree wholeheartedly with Thom about the quality of produce and eatery available - just that the whole yoghurt-weaving, baggy-jumpered Dad thing bugs me now and again!

Always hungry.

You've got to love a thread that sways violently from the merits of OFM to the rights and wrongs of town and county boundaries.

I was born and brought up in Timperley, Altrincham and after 10 years away in Sheffield (SOUTH Yorkshire, but that's another arguement) returned, happy to be home. It is firmly in the North West - Gordon Burns tells me so every night at 6.30. A part of Greater Manchester and Cheshire as far as I'm concerned, it's the Warrington postcode I cant get on board with.

As for my comment about Chorlton, it was in truth meant with tongue in cheek and I agree wholeheartedly with Thom about the quality of produce and eatery available - just that the whole yoghurt-weaving, baggy-jumpered Dad thing bugs me now and again!

I don't understand this debate. Isn't it simple? North of Hatfield is simply "The North" after all that is what the road signs say.

Far be it from me to propogate and reinforce the sterotypes of Chorlton being the natural home of all things right-on, bohemian and alternative but the flat let adverts in the newsagent on Beech Road do genuinely specify "lesbian cat-lovers".

Edited by thom (log)

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Far be it from me to propogate and reinforce the sterotypes of Chorlton being the natural home of all things right-on, bohemian and alternative but the flat let adverts in the newsagent on Beech Road do genuinely specify "lesbian cat-lovers".

Beech road....now that brings back memories. I worked in the Lead Station and Primavera in my student day, i say student but i think 4 hours a week hardly consitues being a student!

Beech road....now that brings back memories. I worked in the Lead Station and Primavera in my student day, i say student but i think 4 hours a week hardly consitues being a student!

I actually think 4 hrs a week is he very essense of the student experience!

And weirdly this brings us full circle to another recent thread as the owner of Marmalade, which shut last week, had the Lead Station in mind when he quoted that comparably-sized places on Beech Road were paying less than half the rent that he was paying Punch Taverns for his site.

Small world and all that.

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

• 1 year later...