• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit-of-the-month clubs

McFoodie

Maybe there's a good one out there, but I've never encountered a fruit-of-the-month club that provides good fruit every month. Most companies that do mail-order fruit well specialize in one or a very few fruits. For example, Red Cooper's grapefruits from Texas are amazing ( http://www.redcooper.com/ ). Now, I understand that Red Cooper wants to be able to have income year-round, so he also sells things like mangoes and peaches -- but those are purchased from somewhere else, so I can't see what value Red Cooper adds to those items.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I suspect fruit-of-the-month clubs are less about fruit and more about months?

As a gift, it's supposed to be the thought that counts. To get another gift every month, (or so), adds a little fun to the process. Of course Company A gets its peaches from Company B in August, and reciprocates by selling them pears in December, but it's logistically easier to subscribe to one service than to place four, six or twelve seperate orders.

There's also often a nostalgic componen. My Grandfather gave Harry & Davids gifts back in the 1950's. He died in 1964, but Harry & David products still have special meaning in my family.

SB (When was the business method and associated term, "-of-the-month club", first used anyway?) :smile:

Edited by srhcb (log)

There's also often a nostalgic componen.  My Grandfather gave Harry & Davids gifts back in the 1950's.  He died in 1964, but Harry & David products still have special meaning in my family.

I have never ordered a Fruit-of-the-Month Club gift from Harry and David, but I have ordered some of their other fruit for family gifts, and even stopped by their outlet store once when I was traveling through southwest Oregon, and found their products to be generally of good quality. That said, Harry and David's long suit in terms of produce is stuff that grows in their region--i.e. pears, apples, etc. So I'd assume all citrus and other tropical fruit in their clubs will be purchased from somebody else and thus be that one step removed from hands-on quality control. Just sayin'.

There is an X-of-the-month club site.

According to them:

"Gift of the month clubs started out years ago as a gift for clients and upper-level executives. When a company provided a club to one of their valued clients or hard-working executives, it served as a constant reminder throughout the 12 months of the year that their business and/or hard work was appreciated. "

I believe Harry & Davids was the first company to do this. They began marketing the concept in 1934.

About this same time ice cream makers began to advertise a flavor-of-the-month, and it's unclear whether or not this usage predates fruit-of-the-month.

SB (would subscribe to odd question-of-the-month club :huh: )

I believe Harry & Davids was the first company to do this.  They began marketing the concept in 1934.

I contacted Harry & Davids, and they were kind enough to research the matter and answer my question:

Dear Mr. Baker:

Thank you very much for contacting us.

Thank you for taking the time to email us. The "fruit-of-the-month club" was established in 1936.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know and we will be happy to help!

Best Wishes,

Andrew R.

Harry and David

E-Commerce Sales & Service

SB (will remember to order some gifts from them :smile: )

Well, there's a Bacon of the Month club, which is almost as good as cheesecake.

My brother gave me the Harry & David Fruit of the Month last year for the holidays. Their "Royal Riviera" (i.e., comice) pears are really great. The rest of the months were merely good. Their service is top notch. I'd say stick with the pears. I've given them for years. If you'd rather not give food, they also have very nice amaryllises.