• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mustard Greens

dvs

• 14 years later...

Ralphs (Kroger) had marked down one pound bags of various greens. This is California so the sign said "great for juicing". I got the mustard. Currently cooking just with diced salami (only cured product in fridge). Oh does it smell like comfort food. 

• Like 3

Bacon is nice with greens but my wife won’t eat porky foods.

So my typical meat addition would be oxtail, short rib or maybe sliced turkey sausage.  Diced onion and garlic a must.  Maybe a bit of oregano depending 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubadoo97 said:

So my typical meat addition would be oxtail, short rib or maybe sliced turkey sausage.  Diced onion and garlic a must.  Maybe a bit of oregano depending 

The original plan was to use my frozen lamb bones for stock and add greens and potatoes or noodles. But stepmother still here and the smell of lamb she says nauseates her so one adjusts. I cooked the greens while they were at Costco with sliding door open so as to lessen offensive odors.  Mustard is a pleasant to me but strong smell to some. This bulk stuff was not young . Quite bitter which I like.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Smoked turkey leg might make a good option here. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mustards is my favorite of the greens.  I am very pro-pork, myself; but I find mustards sauteed in olive oil with onions, garlic, and s&p to be just wonderful.  

ETA:  I know that's not really a recipe . . . .

Edited by SLB (log)