• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

weinoo

So, I'm making a batch of chocolate chip cookies (I like the recipe from The Good Cook Cookies and Crackers book), and my wife walks into the kitchen and says I should flatten the dough a bit after dropping it onto the baking sheets with an ice cream scoop. I didn't and my cookies baked up beautifully, nice and moist and chewy. But I'm wondering what everyone else's preferences are - do you like your c.c. cookies kind of moist and chewy, or flat and crunchy and crispy?

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

browned but soft and chewy, duh. what other way is there to make chocolate chip cookies? (yes, I know there's another way. I don't want to hear about it, you crispy-cookie heathens).

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The Alton Brown Good Eats episode on chocolate chip cookies, and Cooks Illustrated articles on the subject, illustrate the slight variations in ingredients and procedures that make the cookies crisp to chewy or anything in between. Both the show and articles have been discussed on several eGullet threads.

With this information and a little experimentation, anybody can pretty much tailor a version to meet their own particular specification.

SB (likes either very crisp or very chewy better than any "compromise" cookies) :wink:

I just tried Dorie Greenspan's cc cookie recipe. Didn't flatten them before baking, but they spread out beautifully and were golden brown and slightly crispy on the edges and still soft and chewy in the middle. and buttery. And slightly salty :wub: That's how I like them.

Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside.

You said it!

And now, I need your recipe. Pretty pretty please with a chocolate chip on top?

I usually use "Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies" from Baking Illustrated but I add about 1/2 tsp baking powder which seems to make them spread just a touch more, which I like. It seems to ensure the chewy factor but our flour has a higher protein content in Canada so in the US it might work best as printed.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Chewy, chewy, chewy!

A chewy cookie will still be chewy even if it's slightly flattened before it goes into the oven, as long as the sugar/egg to butter ratio is correct. And as long as it isn't baked to death.

Try adding a quarter cup of molasses to your chocolate chippers - it brings out the flavor of the chocolate and adds some depth to the flavor of the dough.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I am definitely a chewy, even gooey chocolate chip cookie lover! Inspired by Ling's gorgeous pictures in the Dessert thread, I made the dough for the cookies from the Macrina Bakery. It is chilling now and I will bake them later this week and report back...

Here's a link to the Good Eats Fan Page, (tip of the hat to Toliver). It has great search functions on the left.

Just hit [Food or Topic] for an alphabetical list, scroll down to Cookies: Three Chips for Sister Marsha, and there is literally everyrhing you want might to know about Alton's Chocolate Chip Cookie episode.

SB (This is lots easier than trying to navigate Food Network's site :wink: )