• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barrique Aged Origine Caribbean Rum

Jerry L

I recently encountered this rum while browsing the shelves at a local store. It was completely unknown to me and I decided to give it a try. It is from the Netherlands and proclaims itself an "Amber Estate Reserve". "A blend of 7 craftsman distilled rums, featuring those from centuries old estates, from Demerara and the islands of Barbados, Jamaica, and Trinidad."

I have found it to be light, smooth, sweet, and mellow. Very enjoyble neat and mixing well with tonic. I have been unable to find anything about it online and am wondering if anyone else has ecountered it and what you thought of it.

Sounds like one of the blended rums that Scheer would know about. I haven't seen that one anywhere in the US. Can you tell us the name of the importer? It should be stated on the back label.

I can tell you that it probably isn't from centuries old estates but blended from rums made at the large industrial rum manufacturing plants on those islands. Not to say that it can't be good rum, but there is no rum being made at estates on those islands anymore.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

That sounds like another private label of unknown origin.

Blended from centuries old estates on Barbados, Guyana and Trinidad, product of the Netherlands, blended and bottled by The Origine Rum Company and imported by Origine Distilleries just doesn't add up. But I can add numbers better than words.

That reminds me of Foxy's Lager bottled by the St Croix Brewing Company. In St Croix, about 50 miles from St Croix there is a brew pub called the St Croix Brewing Company where they sell Foxy's Lager on tap. But when you look at the bottles closely you can read that there is another St Croix Brewing Company in St Paul, Minnesota.

Or Cabana Boy rum, which according to the people at White Rock Distilleries in Lewiston, Maine wasn't ever target marketed to gay men, in spite of their website and labels featuring bare chested men with a game called "undress the Cabana Boy." Cabana Boy Rum was blended with Virgin Island rum and some of that rum was bottled in Maine.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.