• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about this "icebox rolls" recipe

Smarmotron

This is an old favorite that my grandmother used to make. I recently got the recipe from my mom (who does not make the rolls) and I am going to try it for Thanksgiving this year. I am transcribing the recipe exactly as it is on the card.

ICEBOX ROLLS

2 cups hot water

1 heaping Tablesp salt

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup sugar

Mix and cool to lukewarm. Soften 1 cake compressed yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water, add 1 tsp sugar, and add to above mixture. Add two well-beaten eggs. Add 4 cups flour and beat well. Then stir in 3 more cups of flour. Do NOT knead. Set in icebox until ready to make out. Let dough rise about 3 hours before baking. 400 degrees 10 min.

Now, this is written in kind of confusing language for a highly logical engineer such as myself. I assume I mix it up as described, then refrigerate for 3 hours before baking? Or do I let it sit in the open (covered by a cheesecloth, maybe) for 3 hours, then refrigerate until ready to bake?

Also, some of the ingredients are smudged - do the quantities look correct?

Lastly, would you assume this recipe makes 12 rolls worth?

Thanks...I am a baking novice!

This is an old favorite that my grandmother used to make.  I recently got the recipe from my mom (who does not make the rolls) and I am going to try it for Thanksgiving this year.  I am transcribing the recipe exactly as it is on the card.

ICEBOX ROLLS

2 cups hot water

1 heaping Tablesp salt

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup sugar

Mix and cool to lukewarm.  Soften 1 cake compressed yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water, add 1 tsp sugar, and add to above mixture.  Add two well-beaten eggs.  Add 4 cups flour and beat well.  Then stir in 3 more cups of flour.  Do NOT knead.  Set in icebox until ready to make out.  Let dough rise about 3 hours before baking.  400 degrees 10 min.

Now, this is written in kind of confusing language for a highly logical engineer such as myself.  I assume I mix it up as described, then refrigerate for 3 hours before baking?  Or do I let it sit in the open (covered by a cheesecloth, maybe) for 3 hours, then refrigerate until ready to bake?

Here are a couple of similar recipes

Here.

And here.

I think 7 cups of flour will make several dozen rolls.

mix up as written. put in fridge. take out 3 hrs before cooking to let rise.

you can make this as individual rolls, put 3 small balls together and make parker house rolls or, my personal fav. is to make about 2" balls and set them touching in a pan with sides so they rise together and only the mouonded tops brown. brushed with melted butter they a fluffy, yeasty clouds from heaven.

This is an old favorite that my grandmother used to make.  I recently got the recipe from my mom (who does not make the rolls) and I am going to try it for Thanksgiving this year.  I am transcribing the recipe exactly as it is on the card.

ICEBOX ROLLS

2 cups hot water

1 heaping Tablesp salt

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup sugar

Mix and cool to lukewarm.  Soften 1 cake compressed yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water, add 1 tsp sugar, and add to above mixture.  Add two well-beaten eggs.  Add 4 cups flour and beat well.  Then stir in 3 more cups of flour.  Do NOT knead.  Set in icebox until ready to make out.  Let dough rise about 3 hours before baking.  400 degrees 10 min.

Now, this is written in kind of confusing language for a highly logical engineer such as myself.  I assume I mix it up as described, then refrigerate for 3 hours before baking?  Or do I let it sit in the open (covered by a cheesecloth, maybe) for 3 hours, then refrigerate until ready to bake?

This is exactly my roll recipe but doubled. I do knead mine, however, in the stand mixer but it is a soft dough. I would think that you should mix the batter and then cover and refrigerate (for up to a several days if desired.) When ready to bake remove them from the fridge and form into rolls and place on baking sheet and let rise for three hours (during which time they'll come to room temp and then rise) and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 mins or until golden brown. My recipe (which is half this amount) makes 12 very large rolls or 24 small ones. I'd say this recipe should make about 3 or 4 dozen dinner rolls.