• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beans, beans, they're good for your

Abra

I hate beans. Well, actually I love beans, never met a bean I didn't like, but the beans hate me. No matter how many (or few) I eat or how often I eat them, they always come back to haunt me and anybody else in the general area. None of the folk remedies or wive's tales seem to help. So I very rarely eat them... which sucks.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I always thought beans hated me too, but I discovered that if I eat them regularly, I don't have any unpleasant side-effects. I started making a pot of beans once a week last year (with at least one meal's worth of leftovers) and after a couple of months my body started to adjust. Now it's not an issue. Red beans and rice is current favorite way to cook 'em.

Made the most ultra-simple beans the other day ... just a bunch of pintos in the pressure cooker with one smoked turkey tail. That one chunk of animal protein spread its fatty smokey salty goodness throughout the entire pot of beans--mmm mmm good. I really dig cooking with smoked turkey parts, but the tails can be the hardest to find. But IMO they're worth seeking out, because their higher fat content really gives beans that umph I was looking for (fat carries flavor). Of course, a well-placed ham hock does that too; but even though I'm usually all about the pork products, the smoked turkey is a welcome change of flavor.

The last time I made baked beans I put a piece of lop yuk in, as it was the only pork product in the house. It provided a really rich flavour. I wonder if a bit of smoked duck would work much the same as smoked turkey?

I hate beans. Well, actually I love beans, never met a bean I didn't like, but the beans hate me. No matter how many (or few) I eat or how often I eat them, they always come back to haunt me and anybody else in the general area. None of the folk remedies or wive's tales seem to help. So I very rarely eat them... which sucks.

Have you tried Beano? I have no problems with beans, because I consume them regularly, but I do have problems with the brassicas and Beano works a treat.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The last time I made baked beans I put a piece of lop yuk in, as it was the only pork product in the house. It provided a really rich flavour. I wonder if a bit of smoked duck would work much the same as smoked turkey?

Both the smoked duck and the lop yuk sound like excellent ideas. :wub:

Ugh, these beautiful beans are making me crazy! My 7 yo, who will eat beans mashed beyond all recognition ala mashed potatos, refuses to eat a bean that actually looks like a bean, and all those Rancho Gordo beans are so gorgeous. I cry when I puree them. :wink:

Kids are just so dang weird. :laugh:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I have some of the Rancho Gordo Christmas beans - must find good recipe for them.

In the meantime, I made David Tunis' Zuppa di Fagioli with Rosemary Oil. It's cooling in the fridge for supper tonight. Can't wait!

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

In the meantime, I made David Tunis' Zuppa di Fagioli with Rosemary Oil. It's cooling in the fridge for supper tonight. Can't wait!

That sounds great - is that home-made rosemary oil on top? I love soup garnishes.

That sounds great - is that home-made rosemary oil on top? I love soup garnishes.

Yep, warming 1/2 C olive oil with several sprigs of rosemary, and then garnishing the soup with a teaspoon of the aromatic oil. Delicious and soul-satisfying.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

That sounds gorgeous! But googling that name and recipe yielded only sites in Italian. Can you tell me what book the recipe is in?

I think that the garnish for the soup is at least as important as the soup itself. Who could imagine a bowl of pho without the plate of greens and sauces that accompany it? Or onion soup without a cheesy crouton?