• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malaysian Restaurants in NYC

rasamalaysia

My wife and I travelled through SE Asia last year, including Malaysia and Indonesia. We just moved to NYC less than 2 months ago and have been on the hunt for good Indonesian and Malaysian food. We had heard good things about Fatty Crab and decided to give it a try. After an hour wait and watching lots of good looking dishes coming out of the kitchen, we finally got a table.

We ordered short ribs rendang, skate penggang, and a side of kang kong blachan (and two ice cold PBRs). Everything was wonderful! It all took us straight back to SE Asia. The skate was our favorite but the rendang was very close behind. I'm excited to go back and try some more items off the menu.

Eat Well

Sean

I haven't been to Fatty Crab yet, but so far, the best Malaysian food I've had in New York has been at Skyway. It's very informal food. For example, I got a "Curry Asam Ikan Kepala" casserole (you can tell they don't speak much Malay there), which I thought was very tasty home cooking. Some of their seafood dishes are more elaborate. PM me if you like; schedule allowing, I might be able to organize a group of people to join you there.

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't been to Fatty Crab yet, but so far, the best Malaysian food I've had in New York has been at Skyway. It's very informal food. For example, I got a "Curry Asam Ikan Kepala" casserole (you can tell they don't speak much Malay there), which I thought was very tasty home cooking. Some of their seafood dishes are more elaborate. PM me if you like; schedule allowing, I might be able to organize a group of people to join you there.

I call shotgun..

Hey guys - thanks for the information.

Noodlebot - I went to Nyonya like 8 years ago and it was alright. I guess I am a food snob when it comes to my own kinds of food.

Naes - I have heard rave reviews about Fatty Crab and would definitely check it out. I don't mind the waiting as long as the food is good.

Pan - About Skyway, I have never heard of it, but would love to check it out too if time permits. :cool:

Asian food and cooking recipes: http://www.rasamalaysia.com

Hey guys - thanks for the information.

Noodlebot - I went to Nyonya like 8 years ago and it was alright.  I guess I am a food snob when it comes to my own kinds of food.

Naes - I have heard rave reviews about Fatty Crab and would definitely check it out.  I don't mind the waiting as long as the food is good.

Pan - About Skyway, I have never heard of it, but would love to check it out too if time permits.  :cool:

I think Skyway is significantly better than Grand St. Nyonya, but don't expect the restaurant to be good relative to really good restaurants in KL or Penang. I've decided that some of their dishes are better than just OK by comparison with good food in Malaysia (such as some of their seafood dishes, their kangkung belacan, and the nasi lemak on a good day), but by no means should you expect greatness by Malaysian standards. I still think the place is very worthwhile, though.

raji, Bali Nusa Indah is an Indonesian restaurant (though not Balinese), not Malaysian. I haven't been there in years but didn't find it too impressive. Jaya struck me actually as rather authentic but just OK (boleh tahan, in Malay). It's probably been at least a couple of years since I've been there, too.

Michael aka "Pan"

raji, Bali Nusa Indah is an Indonesian restaurant (though not Balinese), not Malaysian. I haven't been there in years but didn't find it too impressive. Jaya struck me actually as rather authentic but just OK (boleh tahan, in Malay). It's probably been at least a couple of years since I've been there, too.

My bad -

I'm with Daniel, dibs no bitch-seat

My bad -

I'm with Daniel, dibs no bitch-seat

Oh my goodness.. On the eve of Thanksgiving, before one sees all his highschool buddies..