• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grissini

Pontormo

A thread asking why sesame seeds wouldn't stick to grissini was started in June 2004.

Otherwise, I haven't been able to find a generalized thread on the topic.

I am bringing a wonderful Italian chestnut soup to a large Thanksgiving dinner. It contains plenty of cream and butter and is flavored with mushrooms, pancetta (removed before blending), celery root and cognac.

There will be lots of contributions to the dinner including an hors d'oeuvre and plenty of starches, so I thought breadsticks would be lighter than the buttermilk-cornbread madeleines that I thought of originally. (Do not have a pan for miniature ones & think the one I own is plenty.)

I am sure grissini will be easy to make and I have found plenty of recipes online; I probably have some at home, too.

However, I thought that by posting here, I might find an experienced grissini-baker like Hathor who has a really good recipe or creative ideas for flavoring or forming the grissini for the holiday.

Later, this can become an all-purpose thread to return to for further comments, recommendations or queries--or possibly fodder for merging.

Since it is Thanksgiving, I wish to avoid the obvious flavorings of parm (all due respect to GTO) or garlic, though if I toast and grind fennel seeds... :unsure: ? I also don't want anything to interfere with the delicious soup, so no to prosciutto.

I keep thinking elegant cornbread would be perfect for the soup, so it would be wonderful if I could get the flavor in the grissini. It's just that the texture is so different and the idea of grainy, crunchy breadsticks is not appealing. I suspect a simple plain recipe is in order, but am open to suggestions.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

A thread asking why sesame seeds wouldn't stick to grissini was started in June 2004.

Otherwise, I haven't been able to find a generalized thread on the topic.

I am bringing a wonderful Italian chestnut soup to a large Thanksgiving dinner.  It contains plenty of cream and butter and is flavored with mushrooms, pancetta (removed before blending), celery root and cognac. 

There will be lots of contributions to the dinner including an hors d'oeuvre and plenty of starches, so I thought breadsticks would be lighter than the buttermilk-cornbread madeleines that I thought of originally.  (Do not have a pan for miniature ones & think the one I own is plenty.)

I am sure grissini will be easy to make and I have found plenty of recipes online; I probably have some at home, too.

However, I thought that by posting here, I might find an experienced grissini-baker like Hathor who has a really good recipe or creative ideas for flavoring or forming the grissini for the holiday.

Later, this can become an all-purpose thread to return to for further comments, recommendations or queries--or possibly fodder for merging.

Since it is Thanksgiving, I wish to avoid the obvious flavorings of parm (all due respect to GTO) or garlic, though if I toast and grind fennel seeds... :unsure: ?  I also don't want anything to interfere with the delicious soup, so no to prosciutto. 

I keep thinking elegant cornbread would be perfect for the soup, so it would be wonderful if I could get the flavor in the grissini.  It's just that the texture is so different and the idea of grainy, crunchy breadsticks is not appealing.  I suspect a simple plain recipe is in order, but am open to suggestions.

I have used this recipe and rolling technique with great success. Grissini