• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Bay must eats

Chris Cognac

Hey gang, I managed to score 2 tickets to the Dec 16th Packers game and am flying out there w a buddy (fellow food writer) Sat the 15th.

I figured we would get a nice dinner Sat night, maybe some wine before our freezing cold Bratwurst adventure Sunday.

We are staying in Green Bay (four points Hilton), does anyone have suggestions etc?

Tailgating, how would we go about this....bring trinkets and gift and try and make nice w the natives?

Cold....ok, I dont even own a jacket....what do I need to buy/bring

Thanks in advance....

PS I am wearing flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt today...its 82

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Are you looking for a place in Green Bay, or would you be willing to drive for a bit? I actually don't know Green Bay restaurants very well, despite living about 1/2 hour south! For some reason, when it's time to go out, we head to other towns nearby.

As for tailgating...show up, start grilling! Trinkets, gifts....heck, just bring beer and enough food to share. You'll make friends in no time. :laugh: Honestly, the Lambeau crowd is really friendly, and I think you'll have no problem fitting in. Just don't make fun of our native accent, don'tcha know.

Weather...it's so hard to tell. We went to the January 1st game last season, and I was terrified that we would FREEZE. It had been quite cold Christmas week. However, it was pretty sunny, and I was really comfortable the entire game. My best advice--yes, yes, buy a warm coat, and dress in layers. And while tailgating, think about making something hot. We had chili and actually made mulled wine in our turkey fryer--yes, people made fun of us ("this isn't San Francisco!!), but they weren't laughing we had hot drinks to keep us happy (and they were dealing with beer slushies!!).

So, check the Weather Channel often, leave the flip-flops at home, buy extra socks, and have a great time.

Hey gang, I managed to score 2 tickets to the Dec 16th Packers game and am flying out there w a buddy (fellow food writer) Sat the 15th.

I figured we would get a nice dinner Sat night, maybe some wine before our freezing cold Bratwurst adventure Sunday.

We are staying in Green Bay (four points Hilton), does anyone have suggestions etc?

Tailgating, how would we go about this....bring trinkets and gift and try and make nice w the natives?

Thanks in advance....

Here in Northern MN we consider Green Bay "half way down south", and we're clever enough to have out Vikings play indoors.

But try and procure what's known as a snowmobile suit. It's kind of an adult version of the one-piece snow suits traditionally made to bundle up and immobilize small children.

SB (and Food Network is nuts if they aren't sending a camera crew with you to record the fun :laugh: )(and picking up the expenses :wink: )

We are tossing the idea around to film at the moment....I am so going to freeze my ass off....gotta find some friends w mulled wine and brats inthe parking lot....

I found a place called "packertime.com" that has some kick ass jackets and stuff...

Now boots....I have some I wear at work....they are thourohgood....I dont know how those will work...are boots good?

Chris

The Hungry Detective

Thanks in advance....

Dining - I'm not that familiar with the dining scene in GB though I have a client that bhas taken me to nice little place downtown known as Bistro John Paul. My guess is that it is probably the top spot in town. Avoid, at all costs, Brett Favre's steak house. I had the misfortune of going there once the night before a game. The place was a zoo and the food sucked.

Hotel - Not sure where you're staying since I thought that Four Points was a Sheraton brand.

Clothing - Start with long underwear. Add, jeans, hooded sweatshirt, flannel shirt, big heavy insulated boots, heavy gloves, a bacalava, stocking cap, and ear muffs. The snowmobiling outfit's a good call. If you can't score one, any heavy ski parka will work. Also, you might want to add a pair of those heavy tan twill overalls that construction workers wear. When finished, you'll look like the Michelin man and fit right in.

Tailgating - If outfitted as above, you can probably join any group without a soul not knowing that you're not a member. If you're still uncertain, just chat up and take an off-duty Hooter's employee with you as a pre-game guest. You'll be welcomed with open arms.

Have fun and enjoy the game.

Unfortunately, Bistro John Paul closed a little over a year ago. I would recommend Hinterland Brewery for a nice dinner. Don't let the "brewery" thing discourage you. This restaurant is one of the nicest dining spots in Green Bay. It's an old warehouse that has been renovated into a fine dining restaurant, and they feature fresh seafood and wild game. They are a little pricey. Their website is at www.hinterlandbeer.com. They are located downtown.

For a more casual dining experience, Los Banditos on West Mason has the best Mexican food in town and is a standby with the locals. Their margaritas, fajitas, and chile con queso are all out of this world. Los Banditos is located on West Mason.

Kroll's is the best greasy spoon, burger joint. They have an east and west side location, and are always packed!

Hope this helps out. Let me know if you need any more info.

We are tossing the idea around to film at the moment....I am so going to freeze my ass off....gotta find some friends w mulled wine and brats inthe parking lot....

I found a place called "packertime.com" that has some kick ass jackets and stuff...

Now boots....I have some I wear at work....they are thourohgood....I dont know how those will work...are boots good?

Chris

Yes, you ARE so going to freeze your ass off, along with anything else that isn't well-insulated. You don't know from cold, my thin-blooded friend. Whatever footwear you choose, buy some of those little chemically-reactive hot packets (no idea what's in them but you crunch 'em up a bit and put them between socks and boots/shoes). They've prevented loss of digits at Chiefs games numerous times. Actually buy extras and stick them in your mittens and other strategic places as well. They do make a difference.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Now boots...Chris

You'll look silly as hell, but your feet will stay warm in genuine US Govt Surplus Bunny Boots!

Actually, one advantage of dressing for extreme cold weather is that everyone ends up with pretty much the same silhouette, from the amply proportioned like Chris, to the previously referenced otherwise amply proportioned Hooters Girl. :blink:

SB (so, in the immortal words of Sgt Phil Esterhaus, "Be careful out there.") :wink:

As a Green Bay Packer Team Owner, and looooong time Packer fan ( we had season tickets from 1958 thru ALL of the 'Glory Year's, I think I can comment.

1. The winters have gotton considerably milder. On the day of the 'Ice Bowl' we woke up to -26F 35 miles south of Green Bay, not wind chill but actual -26F. You probably will experience temperatures in the mid 20F's if lucky. Feet, hands and head are the most important. A nice warm face mask can extend your stay outdoors. Start with an artificial fiber like Polyproypyline for a base, add a thick liner of anything but cotton liner (down is very nice for sedentary events) and a wind resistant shell for both top and bottom. DO NOT drink alcohol but imbibe hot liquids. Save the alcohol for after the 'Pack' wins.

In terms of fine dining, there isn't any. This comment is not meant to be derogatory but that's the way it is and I wouldn't change it. You certainly can find a good steak or buffet but you won't find any pretenciousness(sp?). Leave your Tux, resume and attitude behind. The inhabitants view the 'Deer Hunting' Season as the most important time of the year. Vince is still the ' Pope of Green Bay'. The people will be very friendly and will not try to rip you off but if you don't know a 30.06 from a cabernet, best just to absorb the color. You are not a Big Fish in a Small Pond but rather an unknown that will judged on your merits alone. Believe it or not, there are still many people in Wisconsin that don't have Cable!

I vote for Kroll's West, whenever we are in Green Bay or traversing thru to the the Northland, we stop there. Good old fashion Wisconsin butter on a great hard roll. What you won't find anymore is a 'Cannibal Sandwich', banned by the 'Food Police'!

Have a good time!

I will be sitting at home, warm, cosy and drinking tea so I don't fall asleep during the game. -Dick

Unfortunately, Bistro John Paul closed a little over a year ago.  I would recommend Hinterland Brewery for a nice dinner.  Don't let the "brewery" thing discourage you.  This restaurant is one of the nicest dining spots in Green Bay.  It's an old warehouse that has been renovated into a fine dining restaurant, and they feature fresh seafood and wild game.  They are a little pricey.  Their website is at www.hinterlandbeer.com. They are located downtown.

For a more casual dining experience, Los Banditos on West Mason has the best Mexican food in town and is a standby with the locals.  Their margaritas, fajitas, and chile con queso are all out of this world.  Los Banditos is located on West Mason.

Kroll's is the best greasy spoon, burger joint. They have an east and west side location, and are always packed!

Hope this helps out.  Let me know if you need any more info.

I was up in Green Bay this past weekend for the Patriots' beatdown. We had a pretty good meal at Titletown Brewing Company, which is right across Dousman St. from Hinterland and more casual. Can't go wrong with Fried Cheese Curds and the Sausage Trio. Very good craft beers on tap too.

Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try a butterburger at Krolls. Maybe when the Pats return in 2014.

Food at Lambeau Field is good and CHEAP -- the stands are all run for the benefit of local charities, which must keep the prices down. Got a huge brat for $5.

Finally, finding a good cup of coffee in GB is not as easy as in most cities. Starbucks has barely made inroads. We found a great local coffee house called Kavarna on Broadway, as well as Jo to Go, which has a couple of locations.

Chris

As a relocated Wisconsinite, I would dearly love to see this adventure documented for posterity.

Sorel boots and wooly socks are the only way to go.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

"Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try a butterburger at Krolls. Maybe when the Pats return in 2014."

Butter burgers are at Solly's http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.as...D=615&RefID=615 which carries the Wisconsin tradition of butter on burgers to extreme. In Wisconsin we don't call anything else a 'butter burger' . -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance....

One last thought, the game is the 17th of December.-Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, butter burger at Solly's....what can I say...its a burger, topped w tasty butter....we had a fantastic dinner at coerpers 5 oclock club....giant 30 oz porterhouse and a 16 oz filet....cooked to perfection, w that brown pan sauce over the top....wow...and the fliet was only 38 bucks...w tons of sides, a real bargain for sure....

I had a blast, sat in the end zone for the first half and a skybox the second.....both were great....I was kinda bummed as the only reason I had to use my new parka for was to sit my ass on it...oh well....great trip, I think I will try to come back for sure!

The Hungry Detective

Wow, butter burger at Solly's....what can I say...its a burger, topped w tasty butter....we had a fantastic dinner at coerpers 5 oclock club....giant 30 oz porterhouse and a 16 oz filet....cooked to perfection, w that brown pan sauce over the top....wow...and the fliet was only 38 bucks...w tons of sides, a real bargain for sure....

I had a blast, sat in the end zone for the first half and a skybox the second.....both were great....I was kinda bummed as the only reason I had to use my new parka for was to sit my ass on it...oh well....great trip, I think I will try to come back for sure!

My Cousin Charlie would love the steaks, but even moreso the Butter Burger. He's one of those small guys who can eat anything he wants, non-stop, and never gain weight.

He actually coined the term Butter Headache to describe the sensation of od'ing on butter!

SB (Sorry about the nice weather. The sissy Vikings played indoors with temps outside in the 40's!)