• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3rd star for Akelarre

vserna

It's been announced unofficially, but seemingly from unimpeachable sources, that when the 2007 Michelin Guide to Spain is unveiled next week, a new three-star restaurant will be in it - always important news because of the well-known stinginess of the French guide's inspectors vis-à-vis Spain (which has roughly the same number of starred restaurants as Switzerland, half of Italy's or the Benelux's total, and six times less than France...).

The new top-rated place is Pedro Subijana's veteran Akelarre in San Sebastián. Akelarre and Juan Mari Arzak were founders of the 'new Basque cuisine' movement over 30 years ago. If the elevation of Akelarre is confirmed, there will be six restaurants in this category in Spain: Arzak, Akelarre, Martín Berasategui, El Bulli, Sant Pau, Can Fabes.

Apparently the next two candidates in line are Can Roca (there is word that they talked with Michelin and both agreed to postpone any changes until the restaurant has moved to its new, posher premises in the next couple of months) and Santceloni.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

It's been announced unofficially, but seemingly from unimpeachable sources, that when the 2007 Michelin Guide to Spain is unveiled next week, a new three-star restaurant will be in it - always important news because of the well-known stinginess of the French guide's inspectors vis-à-vis Spain (which has roughly the same number of starred restaurants as Switzerland, half of Italy's or the Benelux's total, and six times less than France...).

The new top-rated place is Pedro Subijana's veteran Akelarre in San Sebastián. Akelarre and Juan Mari Arzak were founders of the 'new Basque cuisine' movement over 30 years ago. If the elevation of Akelarre is confirmed, there will be six restaurants in this category in Spain: Arzak, Akelarre, Martín Berasategui, El Bulli, Sant Pau, Can Fabes.

Apparently the next two candidates in line are Can Roca (there is word that they talked with Michelin and both agreed to postpone any changes until the restaurant has moved to its new, posher premises in the next couple of months) and Santceloni.

Congratulations are in order. I will go there again this summer for sure. Also, it will be interesting to see which restaurants geo one or two stars.

THanks for the info.

Based on one visit two years ago, I wouldn't say it even merits two stars. Mind you I'd say the same about Berasategui and Sant Pau.

Based on one visit two years ago, I wouldn't say it even merits two stars. Mind you I'd say the same about Berasategui and Sant Pau.

Boy, is that flimsy evidence...

The news is now confirmed. The other noteworthy promotion is Quique Dacosta's El Poblet, at Dènia south of Valencia, getting the second star. Strictly no surprise here.

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

what are the full changes please. as we are going to bcn in january.

The rest of this year's changes are as follows:

As Victor pointed out, Quique Dacosta of El Poblet in Denia gets his second star.

Lasarte (Martin Berasategui, Barcelona), Evo (Santi Santamaria, L'Hospitalet), Saüc (Xavier Franco, Barcelona), Miramar (Llanća), El Rebost d´en Pere (Banyoles), Koldo Miranda (Avilés), La Finca (Elx), Gallery Art and Food (Gijón), Los Avellanos (Torrelavega), Zaranda (Madrid) and Mesana (Marbella) all get their first star.

Río Asón (Ramales de la Victoria, Cantabria) and Tubal (Tafalla, Navarra) loose their stars.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

sant pau.    moo , espai sucre, commerc 24.  most other places are closed in the first two weeks of jan.  any other suggestions would be appreciated.  we are a bunch of chefs on a gastro weekender.

Hispania for sea product.

Coure for consistency and excellent technique.

Els Casals for traditional cuisine with a modern touch, using fresh products from their own farm.

Quimet i Quimet if you want to try canned products of the highest quality.

Also, you're going both to Lasarte and Moo, which one could say are "branches" of other big name restaurants. Why not try to go to Can Roca instead of Moo, for instance?

I'm not a big fan of Sant Pau. Excellent execution, great product, but IMHO nothing to write home about.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

sant pau.    moo , espai sucre, commerc 24.  most other places are closed in the first two weeks of jan.  any other suggestions would be appreciated.  we are a bunch of chefs on a gastro weekender.

Hispania for sea product.

Coure for consistency and excellent technique.

Els Casals for traditional cuisine with a modern touch, using fresh products from their own farm.

Quimet i Quimet if you want to try canned products of the highest quality.

Also, you're going both to Lasarte and Moo, which one could say are "branches" of other big name restaurants. Why not try to go to Can Roca instead of Moo, for instance?

I'm not a big fan of Sant Pau. Excellent execution, great product, but IMHO nothing to write home about.

I am a litlle surprised that Saüc (Xavier Franco, Barcelona) gets one star. I have eaten there twice and it is good but, let's say, that I am surprised. It seems a little bit casual (vs. a little pretentious, which Alkimia, IMHO, is) to merit one star. I thought that "Cinc sentits" might get one star this year. Every time that I have eaten there is pretty much flawless.

I must admit that I have heard good things for Miramar (Llanca), but I had never heard of El Rebost d´en Pere (Banyoles). Good for them.

i have been to can roca but not sant pau and i need to complete the spanish 3 stars i have already done akelarre.  lasarte is because i know the chef. will read up on the other suggestions thankyou. what is sauc like the website will not open.

FWIW I loved Sant Pau and thinks Ruscalleda definitely deserved her third star. I say go for it. Another place that you might consider for january given that game should still be in season is Aligue in Manresa. Llorenz Petras, the mushroom man in La Boqueria told me that he and a number of chefs love to go up there during game season as that is something that Bembi Aligue apparently does particularly well. I dined there during late August. While game was not in season, I had a marvelous meal nevertheless.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Drolma is located at the hotel Majestic. Its cuisine has been described as the best bourgeoise cuisine of the country while others were not so enthusiastic about it. Expensive, though.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

The one place not to miss for culinary creativity in Catalonia today is L'Esguard. An absolute must in my book.

Isn't the chef there a neurologist? Funny thing is that I heard of him even before I had heard about Ferran Adria and then I initially confused the two. I haven't heard much lately though and assumed that he had fallen into the background. Just out of curiosity, does he have any Michelin stars? How difficult is it to get a reservation there?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

He is a neurologist, John. It's not particularly difficult to get a reservation there, specially at lunch time and the restaurant currently holds a Michelin star, if I'm not mistaken.

That said, I had lunch there two months ago and I found the featuring of micri in almost every single dish --amuses and petit fours included-- a little too redundant. It's worth noticing that they were starting holidays the following day and that the chef had already anticipated them a couple of days. From a visual composition perspective, the dishes are without any doubt the best I've ever came across. Absolutely outstanding.

Edited by pedro (log)

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, must be tough to please. I've never seen "excellent execution" and "great product" used to describe a restaurant that doesn't merit a positive review.

Wow, must be tough to please. I've never seen "excellent execution" and "great product" used to describe a restaurant that doesn't merit a positive review.

You're misinterpreting me. For a three star, excellent execution and great product is (or should be) a given. When I go to a place like this, I expect to be "wow-ed", so to speak. I want to remember several, or at least one of the dishes I've had for several weeks if not months. This is not the case with Ruscalleda's cooking.

You're misinterpreting me. For a three star, excellent execution and great product is (or should be) a given. When I go to a place like this, I expect to be "wow-ed", so to speak. I want to remember several, or at least one of the dishes I've had for several weeks if not months. This is not the case with Ruscalleda's cooking.

I am surprised, it has been over a month since I was there and I can still remember every single thing. I did not do a top ten meals but I think Sant Pau would be on the top of my list. I was wowed big time

I am surprised, it has been over a month since I was there and I can still remember every single thing.  I did not do a top ten meals but I think Sant Pau would be on the top of my list.  I was wowed big time

You are luckier than we were. Mind you this was about a year ago, but the person having dinner with me shared my reaction.