• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh coconut

Lochina

If the only coconuts you've opened up until now are the usual dark brown husked ones, then you're probably in for a bit of a surprise when you get inside the fresh ones. What we think of as the 'flesh' of the coconut, the white fibrous 'meat' will be missing. Instead, you will have a full coconut of tasty drinkable 'milk', and a thin layer of somewhat slippery flesh which can be peeled out of the shell using a spoon.

Be prepared to catch the milk - open the coconut over a clean bowl. At this point my mind starts to drift off in the direction of drinks involving rum. The flesh, meanwhile gets snacked on, as is. Sometimes it gets added to 'Thai' pomelo salad I do using lots of crispy shallots and garlic with a coconut and chilli sauce and some shredded chicken.

cheers

Derek

If the only coconuts you've opened up until now are the usual dark brown husked ones, then you're probably in for a bit of a surprise when you get inside the fresh ones. What we think of as the 'flesh' of the coconut, the white fibrous 'meat' will be missing. Instead, you will have a full coconut of tasty drinkable 'milk', and a thin layer of somewhat slippery flesh which can be peeled out of the shell using a spoon.

Be prepared to catch the milk - open the coconut over a clean bowl. At this point my mind  starts to drift off in the direction of drinks involving rum. The flesh, meanwhile gets snacked on, as is. Sometimes it gets added to 'Thai' pomelo salad I do using lots of crispy shallots and garlic with a coconut and chilli sauce and some shredded chicken.

cheers

Derek

yeah yeah... what Derek said

these coconuts are great because you, potentially, get two "milks" The first is the coconut water that drips as you first open it. The second i made through processing the flesh (the one you scrape out with a spoon).

A favorite ecuadorian dish in the "encocado", from the northern coastal regionm of Esmeraldas. Basically shrimp cooked in the second coconut milg (with aromatics and a sofrito)... when done, you add the first coconut water an cilantro, for added freshness.

Sooooo good

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I have two fresh coconuts from my veggie coop sitting in my fridge, and I have no idea what to do with them. Any ideas/recipes? Thanks!

You can make coconut chutney with cilantro ginger and garlic . Use it as a dipping sauce or like we have it India with savory pancake topped with veggies. That's called Uttapam.

It's South Indian food. Add a little yogurt as you are blending the chutney.