• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superior Broth and Suggestion for "Pinning"

msphoebe

Hi there, I continue to enjoy all the great posts here and the tutorials/recipes by Ah Leung. Dinner tonite will be the beef fried rice.

I have a question and a suggestion.

First, you refer to "Superior Broth" in some of your recipes. Can you give instruction or source for this ingredient? I have a feeling it is a broth or stock that one makes with bones, etc. but would like instruction, if possible.

Secondly, at one time I read your thread on Chinese ingredients/condiments. Would it be possible to pin this thread for easy reference?

Please continue to do what you are doing, and know that there are many of us who don't have enough expertise to post a lot, but who enjoy all the discussion and tutorials. Thank you very much!

msphoebe: Thank you for your feedbacks and kind words. In this day and age, most of the time I just use canned chicken broth which is widely available in any Asian market. Regular American markets carry them too though the prices (e.g. Campbell's Soup) are much higher and variety is less. In the Asian markets, I can get a small can for about 33c/can when they are on sale. It is much easier than making my own superior broth.

You can certainly make your own. Use some meats and bones (or fish). Some add a few stalks of green onions in the broth. Others add different things but the basic scheme is the same. Bring to a first boil and lower to a simmer and let it bubble for 2 to 3 hours.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

A few slices of cured ham are a good addition. You can use prosciutto ends.

Do Chinese chefs traditionally discard the meat used to make stocks? My experience with Chinese culture is that waste is frowned upon -- discarding the meat runs counter to those values.

A few slices of cured ham are a good addition. You can use prosciutto ends.

Do Chinese chefs traditionally discard the meat used to make stocks? My experience with Chinese culture is that waste is frowned upon -- discarding the meat runs counter to those values.

When makine "everyday" soup, we don't discard the meat. However, we don't keep all the meat when my mom makes shark fin soup. The reason is that she uses 2, sometimes 3 chicken to the broth. We just can't eat that much chicken....

I always keep some Campbell's Chicken, Beef, or Thai Broth in my pantry for general use: in stir-fries, in quick soups, stews, etc.

To make stock when I have time at home, I use chicken necks/backs attached, pork neck bones, or beef soup bones.These are readily available in meat counters. These parts have great flavour, and they can be discarded without concern for waste. However, the bits of meat on the necks and bones are good eating with just a sprinkle of salt, even after hours of simmering!

These are what I use for my congee base (usually chicken). I take the bones out just before serving, pull off the meat and put the meat back into the congee along with more sliced meat. It's the soft texture that is so good.

When I make stock for the freezer, I don't add green onions or ginger as I don't know what I'll be using it for. I want just the pure chicken, beef or pork flavour. Unless you are making the stock for a specific dish, such as pho, I would suggest using just the bones.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks very much, everyone, for your replies. I'm so glad to know it's okay to use canned stock (I always have Swanson's on hand) instead of boiling a pot of bones for hours.

But in looking at the recipe link posted by jhirshon, and judging by comments of others, I see Superior Broth is a mixture of beef, poulty, and pork broths? Very interesting.

Lately I've been using "Better than Bouillon" which has a very rich flavor. I like it. It is a paste consistency, packaged in a jar. Just add a teaspoon of paste plus a cup of water to make one cup of broth. I've used chicken, beef and turkey so far with great results. I guess to make superior broth I could use a teaspoon of both beef and chicken....if I have the concept correct in my mind.

Perhaps when I have some time off during the holidays, I'll boil up a big pot of stock to put in the freezer. It really tastes best, but convenience usually wins over in my house!

Edited by msphoebe (log)

Hi MsPhoebe:

Like you, I am still learning, but I can contribute on occasion. In this case, there are recipes for "everyday" broth and for "superior" broth in a number of recipe standards. The one I use is from Chinese Chicken Cookbook by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo and San Yan Wong.

In using store bought broth or bouillon cubes, be very careful of the sodium content. It can be exceedingly high (always buy "low sodium" versions if possible) and can become higher if you simmer for any period of time and further concentrate your broth.

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

But in looking at the recipe link posted by jhirshon, and judging by comments of others, I see Superior Broth is a mixture of beef, poulty, and pork broths?  Very interesting. 

Superior broth just means excellent flavourful broth and not a broth brewed from the three meats together. Each kind can be a superior broth on its own.

For myself, I never combine beef with either chicken or pork. I have used chicken broth to augment pork broth if I am short, but I've never added pork to chicken.

Beef, I use on its own because it has such a full-bodied flavour. Chicken and pork are more subtle.

I've never added ham or proscuitto or ham in making stock. It would be good if you want the smoky flavour. I know my mom sprinkles finely diced ham on shark fin soup, but I've always felt it was a sacrilege :angry:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com