• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Smoked County Ham

marinade

Yo Dudes and Dudettes (should have seen the havoc that hath wrought on my spell check with that one).

I have a friend who wants the ultimate drum stick for Thanksgiving, namely a smoked country ham. I’m not sure he has the time to go online and get it in time. Are there any good local sources? And no Holly, I’m not parting with my two-year old that’s hanging from my rafters. I like the guy, but hell not that much.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

If you're talking Smithfield type country hams, can't think of anyone who stocks them (though maybe DiBruno on Chestnut does). That said, both Harry Ochs and Giunta Prime Shop at the RTM have some mighty fine no-water added hams. I had a steak cut from one at Harry Ochs' a couple of weeks ago, and it was at least as good as the hams offered by Moyers when they were still at the market.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thanks Bob. I havn't seen Smithfield type country hams in these parts at all. I just put a call into Country Time Farms. They list smoked hams on their web site and maybe they can bring one along when they're in the area next week.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

jansen's grocery in wilmington carries edwards and sons smithfield hams. edward behr, of "art of eating" wrote very positively about them a couple years ago.

if you are near wilmington, i could check and see if they have them in stock. i live very close to the store.

Thanks for tips gang! I'm nudging my friend to do an air drop from Nodines so I can pack some bacon on the back end. It surprises me about the lack of ham choices in the area. WKL, can you get some location details on Jansen's. There's a jam session that I occasionally sit in on that's hosted by David Bromburg in Wilmington on Tuesdays. I'd swing by there earlier and grab a ham.

Edited by marinade (log)

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

I'm nervous, this is my first eGullet post!

I grew up in Central PA, and lived in Philly for 15 years before moving to AZ 5 years ago. I still visit my Mom twice a year, and I'm anxiously anticipating my next trip to the Homeland for Xmas.

I highly recommend S. Clyde Weaver of Lancaster County for delicious country-style smoked ham (bone-in or not). Here's their website:

http://www.sclydeweaver.com/home.html

Click on Locations and you'll find all the farmer's markets they serve with times and days. They're at the farmer's market in Wayne (cool, I thought that had closed!), or it's well worth the drive to their Lancaster or East Petersburg stores to score a ham (and maybe some sharp cheese to nibble on while the ham is cooking). My Mom actually had a ham mailed to me out here in the desert for Thanksgiving! It's going to be a looong week looking at that baby in the fridge and knowing I have to wait til Thursday.

Hope this helps!

Welcome Karen!! We love helpful new posters! Please keep up the good work and let us know when you're coming to visit. We can fill you in on what's new.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Keep in mind that although the hams I recommended form Harry Ochs or Giuntas are very good, there are quite different from Smithfield hams. The traditional Smithfield hams are dry cured. The hams at Ochs or Giuntas are wet-cured. No water added, i.e., they are not pumped up like supermarket hams, but they are cured wet, not dry.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I'm nervous, this is my first eGullet post!

I grew up in Central PA, and lived in Philly for 15 years before moving to AZ 5 years ago. I still visit my Mom twice a year, and I'm anxiously anticipating my next trip to the Homeland for Xmas.

I highly recommend S. Clyde Weaver of Lancaster County for delicious country-style smoked ham (bone-in or not). Here's their website:

http://www.sclydeweaver.com/home.html

Click on Locations and you'll find all the farmer's markets they serve with times and days. They're at the farmer's market in Wayne (cool, I thought that had closed!), or it's well worth the drive to their Lancaster or East Petersburg stores to score a ham (and maybe some sharp cheese to nibble on while the ham is cooking). My Mom actually had a ham mailed to me out here in the desert for Thanksgiving! It's going to be a looong week looking at that baby in the fridge and knowing I have to wait til Thursday.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Karen and welcome. I know Weaver really well. They have a nice selection of jerky, pates, and dried beef. They're quite the scene at the Wayne Farmer's Market.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

marinade,

JANSSENS SUPER MARKET 4021 KENNETT PIKE 19807 302-654-9941.

kennett pike is route 52. take 95 south from philadelphia take delaware ave/ 52 exit. right on 52 (away from the city of wilmington) about two /three miles into greenville, janssens is on your right.

they carry s wallace edwards hams. i have ordered these before by mail. they are excellent versions of smithfields. i don't know if they are actually smithfields, because of location, but they are the real deal in terms on curing and flavor. janssens usually has the bacon also. fair warning, janssens will be PACKED on wednesday and busy on tuesday. janssens is also an expensive, upscale grocery, kinda like dibruno's meets the suburban new castle county.

fell free to pm me, if you want more details.