• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manoir gets exciting!

I have just recieved the latest magazine from Le Manoir and the event that caught my eye was the 'Festival of American Culinary Excellence':

"... a showcase of the very best of American cuisine, wine and lifestyle ere at Le Manoir.

Martha Stewart......will join RB, we hope, in welcoming talented American chefs, vignerons and suppliers.

Each day will feature a gastronomic lunch and dinner, prepared by a top American Star Chef in the style for which he or she has become known, and paired with great American wines from selected vintages.

Seven American chefs have been invited to partcipate including:

Daniel Boulud

Tom Colicchio

Nobuyuki Matsuhisa

Charlie Palmer

Charlie Trotter

The daily agenda will include and afternoon roundtable discussion, attended by Festival guests including former NYC mayor Rudolph Giuliani,Chef's of honor Julia Childs and Jeremiah Tower, leading vignerons Robert and Tim Mondavi, Restaurant critics Nina and Tim Zagat, and James Bear foundation President Michael Ginore.

Some of Europe's Leading chefs will also participate, including Mark Edwards, Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver and Others.

It will the biggest and most meaningful event ever held at Le Manoir. More details and dates to follow...."

Not until 2003 but this sounds interesting nevertheless. ONly problem being that these chefs have only been invited, presumably no confirmations from them as yet. It sounds like a great event if they can pull it off.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Does Mathew get a Telegram for 100 posts?

I agree it does sound very good and is likely to be heavily over subscribed.

From what I remember , I think it was originally due to be in May of this year but was postponed due to last years tragic events in September.

• 4 months later...

I received some more gumpf from Le Manoir a while back. This included a list of forthcoming events for 2003 and I am pretty damm sure that the American event was nowhere to be seen. I will check and get back to you on Thursday.

Cheers

Sorry all , I didn't read Mathews post properly. Of course there is sod all about the event next year if it is planned for 2004. Doh !

Hmmm, I wonder if little old Martha Stewart will still be attached to the event come 2004?

Off to the pub soon- hurrah, so Happy New Year to you all.

Bapi

Edited by Bapi (log)

I would take this proclamation with a grain of salt. While Blanc is very serious about the idea, I think words, in this case, have outpaced actual events. Hope he gets it( or something like it) off the ground. It's a good idea--and there should be plenty of American chefs who'd be happy for a free weekend in those VERY comfortable rooms.

abourdain