• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Guides From the Past

rich

There is a recent thread on the New York board about the Michelin Guide ( I still think they do tires better than restaurants), so I was wondering what people used before Michelin, Zagat, the internet etc., especially when traveling to other cities. I know Michelin has a long history in Europe (especially France), but what about the United States and some other countries?

I used two: Where to Eat in America and Country Inns and Back Roads. Where to Eat was terrific when traveling to other major cities. My favorite category was "Where to Eat if You Only Have Time for One Meal." I was never disappointed with any of their choices. I don't think it's currently published. I used it in the 70's & 80's.

Country Inns was published by Berkshire Press in Mass. It was a great traveling companion when driving through the countryside. I never had a bad meal or accommodations with one of their recommendations. I know the original author died and someone continued it afterward, but I think it's gone now. Again, I used in during the 70's & 80's.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

This is reaching way WAY back, but I collect Baedakers Red Guides---they're informative, often hilarious, and sometimes poignant (the 1938 Guide to Germany, for example). The London guides do contain quite a bit of information on food (ie, Rules, Savoy, etc), etc.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

there is a series of books published by Globe Pequot Press on regional Country Inns and B&B's. It's designed more for people wanting to find a place to stay, but it also rates the food at those establishments that provide meals. The only issue is that B&Bs usually only provide food for guests ... but their asessments are quite good.

I regret to say my only other source are magazines, especially those with a travel section: Gourmet, Saveur, etc.

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Don't Forget Duncan Hines and his "Adventures in Good Eating" guides.

You can find them on eBay from time to time

Duncan Hines History

Does this mean we'll see Zagat-brand cake mix in 25 years?

Also, Gayot has been second to Michelin in France for 45 years and then Zagat in the US since the 80's. Their 20-point system (as opposed to Zagat's 30) seems to result in every restaurant getting a "13".

Edited by lizard (log)

There's that Hungarian fellow in the UK - what was the blighter's name? - ah yes, Egon Ronay. :raz:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845