• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comfort Cocktails

birder53

I will go with Manhattan, though made with Wild Turkey Rye over bourbon and garnished with a twist. To paraphrase Mr. Wondrich, sipping a Manhattan is like having a massage from the inside.

-Andy

I could not have said that any better myself. I'll only sub in a homemade cherry for the lemon.

Fall and Winter, it's definitely a Manhattan for me, too.

Though if I spy a bottle of Maraschino behind the bar, and the bartender isn't too busy, I might try to get them to make me a Brooklyn or a Red Hook.

Coctail Chronicles Posting (with recipe)

This variation on the classic Manhattan is a fairly recent creation, credited to Enzo Errico, bartender at Sasha Petraske’s Milk & Honey in New York. Named for the neighborhood in South Brooklyn–a former industrial zone with cobblestone streets and Civil War-era brick buildings, now yet another revitalized urban area–the Red Hook is a little more rugged than your typical Manhattan.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'll agree as well, the Manhattan is my standby cocktail. I always use Van Winkle rye and brandied cherries are a must. I've started using Punt e Mes vermouth as well, but its not necessarily the required vermouth for me.

After a long day at work I'm partial to a ti punch, 1 1/2 ounces to 2 ounces depending on how hard I've worked. But along with a cocktail, I need something to eat. After I mix the cocktail, I cut some cheese and unwrap a few crackers while the ice melts just a little.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

a martini - brand to be decided on how hard the day has been - from bombay (lime twist)or hendricks(cucumber) to tanqueray ten for when you need the rest of the bottle just to recover.

" A martini is like a womens breasts - one is never enough and three is always too many!" I can never remeber who that quote is by but think it sums martrini etiquette up :wink: pretty well

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 3 months later...

When I came home tonight after a day of cranky and crazy customers, none of my recent "usual" drinks sounded quite right. It struck me that a) I hadn't had a Gimlet in ages; b) it used to be my standard drink; and c) I really wanted one.

Sometimes you don't realize how soothing and comforting a drink is when you're drinking it regularly. In this case, absence really did make the heart grow fonder. It was exactly what I needed -- comfort in a glass.

A really really cold beer, sweating on it's coaster, and a rocks glass with two NBA players fingers of Methuslem, or Havana Club if I am really, lucky.

It may seem pleabian, but after making hundreds of cocktails a week, coming home and whipping up a Sazarac just isn't what I want to do. I thank god everyday I'm not a Gynocologist.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

" A martini is like a womens breasts - one is never enough and three is always too many!"  I can never remeber who that quote is by but think it sums martrini etiquette up :wink:  pretty well

I don't know, but it reminds me of James Thurber's line, "One martini is alright, two is too many, three is not enough."

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

A Manhattan is always is always great for softening the grime that builds up around the brain after a hard day at the office. Our favorite uses Canadian Club and Punt e Mes, garnished with an amaretto soaked Cherry (with stalk), and sometimes in a glass that has been rimmed with orange zest :raz:

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis

~Alleged last words of Humphery Bogart.

" A martini is like a womens breasts - one is never enough and three is always too many!"  I can never remeber who that quote is by but think it sums martrini etiquette up :wink:  pretty well

I don't know, but it reminds me of James Thurber's line, "One martini is alright, two is too many, three is not enough."

Which is like the Dorthy Parker line.

I like too have a martini,

two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table,

after four I'm under my host.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

For me if I have the energy a Sazerac.

If I have no energy 2 fingers of Red Hook or George T. Stagg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

What is the drink that makes it all better for you?  Makers Mark Manhattans are the perfect comfort food at our house.  The number of cherries depends on how rough the day was. :raz:  What about you?

We're old skool: about once a month, if we're not dining out on Friday, we like to get a thick rib-eye, sear it in the cast-iron, and have a good bottle of wine.

But the drink that kicks off this celebration is almost always a cold, cold martini. Sometimes I'll do an old fashioned or a Manhattan instead, but normally, it's a martini before steak.

I think I love preparing a martini almost as much as I love drinking one, and our favorite gin of late is Aviation. We're really getting a kick out of the botanical blend in that one, especially stirred up with a good vermouth.

Michael Dietsch

adashofbitters.com

Which is like the Dorthy Parker line.

I like too have a martini,

two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table,

after four I'm under my host.

I know what she means :wink:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

What is the drink that makes it all better for you?  Makers Mark Manhattans are the perfect comfort food at our house.  The number of cherries depends on how rough the day was. :raz:  What about you?

Yes, exactly right. Makers Mark Manhattan. I'm pretty fixed on two cherries. The roughness of my day determines how many Manhattans, though.