• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which print food publication?

Lori in PA

I want to give my sister a subscription to some kind of food publication. She likes Bon Appetit/Gourmet-type mags, but I was hoping to introduce her to something different. I recall hearing folks here mention a couple of foodie newsletters and/or less-well-known periodicals, but I can't get further than that.

Names?

Descriptions?

Recommendations?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I'm very partial to Fine Cooking--the recipes are well-researched (although perhaps not as exhaustively as Cooks Illustrated), well-documented (through photos of various stages), and each month usually contains a good mix of daily standbys and more esoteric or complex dishes that you might reserve for a dinner party. I've lost count of the number of times I've made the polenta (in the oven, no stirring required), the parmesan chicken, the crusty french rolls, and the individual beef wellingtons (cook them directly from the freezer!). It's the only cooking magazine that I file in its entirety--all others get ripped apart and mostly tossed.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I love Fine Cooking, but I also really love Cook's Illustrated. Nothing I've made from there has failed. In fact, many of my favorites are now a part of the menu where I work.

Just last week I made the Tall and Fluffy Buttermilk biscuits 8 times( 8 batches).

Cook's Illustrated!

Best. Magazine. Ever.

My aunt gave me a subscription two years ago, and now I can't imagine life without it.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I want to give my sister a subscription to some kind of food publication. She likes Bon Appetit/Gourmet-type mags, but I was hoping to introduce her to something different. I recall hearing folks here mention a couple of foodie newsletters and/or less-well-known periodicals, but I can't get further than that.

Names?

Descriptions?

Recommendations?

For "something different", I would recommend "The Art Of Eating" Ed Behr's quarterly publication.

This is an incredible effort that deals with the world of food and cooking and eating and wine from a true connoisseur's perspective. The pieces are wide ranging and detailed offering the reader a real understanding and perspective. (there are recipes as well).

I honestly can't think of a publication that equals or betters what Art of Eating does.

The publication has been discussed here at eGullet quite a bit.

Second on Cook's Illustrated. Invaluable.

Food and Wine. I tend to see emerging trends popping up in this magazine before most others. I also like the overall writing.

Chili Pepper is another good one.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

For recipes and techniques, Cooks Illustrated is definately a nice gift. For a more cultural view of food and society, check out Gastronomica. It is essay based, and you will have a tough time finding any recipes, but the articles are thought provoking and quite interesting.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Another one I like( not so much for the recipes) is Saveur. It also helps that my year subscription only cost 4 bucks.

Check out ebay and the other magazine clearning houses for great deals. Additionally, I only paid 3.89 for my subscription to Bon Appetite

For "something different", I would recommend "The Art Of Eating"  Ed Behr's quarterly publication.

This is an incredible effort that deals with the world of food and cooking and eating and wine from a true connoisseur's perspective. The pieces are wide ranging and detailed offering the reader a real understanding and perspective. (there are recipes as well).

I honestly can't think of a publication that equals or betters what Art of Eating does.

The publication has been discussed here at eGullet quite a bit.

The Art of Eating Website.

flavor floozy

Check out ebay and the other magazine clearning houses for great deals. Additionally,  I only paid 3.89 for my subscription to Bon Appetite

GOOD TIP

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

For recipes and techniques, Cooks Illustrated is definately a nice gift. For a more cultural view of food and society, check out Gastronomica. It is essay based, and you will have a tough time finding any recipes, but the articles are thought provoking and quite interesting.

I always liked Cooks Illustrated. Although I don't subscribe anymore, I did save all my back-issues.

If your sister is interested in more esoteric and/or academic aspects of food culture she probably would enjoy Gastronomica.

SB :smile:

Fine Cooking. I'm getting a subscription for my sister this Christmas. It always has photo instructions for some dishes as well which I've learned a lot from, as well as product reviews and techniques. I like the cookbooks from Cooks Illustrated but not the magazine as much. I guess I'm a sucker for glossy pictures which it doesn't have.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 3 weeks later...

There is also John Thorne's Simple Cooking.

My mom and I share subscriptions to both Cooks Illustrated and Fine Cooking, and after a few years of subscribing to both, I'm finding that I use Fine Cooking more often. It is less tedious.

If your library has any of these periodicals (or any of the other one's mentioned), you might want to check out a couple of back issues and see what strikes your fancy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

i think it only comes out like four times a year, but i like donna hay. she is sort of an australian martha stewart and her magazines are just full of beautiful food photography and interesting/easy/good sounding recipes.

don't know how it would be to subscribe here in the u.s.and a.

• 1 month later...

I know that holiday gifting time has past, but since I just got my gift renewal announcement from Fine Cooking, I thought I'd throw another vote their way. I refer to the mag constantly.

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

I like Fine Cooking - but I have founf myself getting bored of the American Cooking Mags - I have been buying at newstands since culinary school - Olive, Delicious and Good Food - they are all UK/BBC productions and usually have Gardon Ramsay as the lead - he is not as crazy as the Hells Kithcn Show made him - he is really quite brilliant.

Edited by Jakea222 (log)