• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nockerlin?!

I was looking in the Joy of Cooking today, and in the dumplings section I ran across nockerlin.

Recipe:

beat until creamy:

1/4 c. soft butter

1 egg

stir in:

1 c. flour

1/8 tsp. salt

add gradually:

6 Tbsp. milk

Form small balls and drop into boiling water or soup... simmer covered for 10min.

Any ideas what it is? nationality? comments?

No results on egullet and google finds them as a dessert. "This dish celebrates the hills of Salzburg with its hills of heaped Meringue. It’s rich, indulgent and utterly delicious."

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/recipes/recipe...Alias=RE_WP0212

Salzburg is in Austria. These are also used in Hungarian food (which has a longstanding relationship with Austrian food, from the time of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). I've never heard of them as something sweet, rather than savory, but I'm not an expert.

Michael aka "Pan"

Nockerl is just a generic word for small dumpling in Austrian German. Not sure if the word is used all over Germany as well.

The recipe you cited is for a type of Austrian "Mehlnockerl" or 'flour dumpling'. They are typically made on the smallish side although a bit larger than Spaetzle. As with any dumpling dough, it's a good idea to make a few test dumplings first--if they are too soft; add a little flour, if too firm, a little more butter. These types of dumplings are good in something like Goulash or another hearty stew as Pan mentioned.

"Griessnockerl" are little dumplings made with semolina that are usually served in a clear beef broth soup.

Salzburger Nockerln is an old Austrian dessert that is still popular and is a completely different beast although it uses the word 'nockerl'. It is a delicate, light type of souffle made with butter, egg yolks, sugar and beaten egg whites flavored with lemon and vanilla and typicallly baked on a flat platter in three large mounds or peaks. It is served straight out of the oven and covered with powdered sugar.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Salzburger Nockerln is an old Austrian dessert that is still popular and is a completely different beast although it uses the word 'nockerl'.  It is a delicate, light type of souffle made with butter, egg yolks, sugar and beaten egg whites flavored with lemon and vanilla and typicallly baked on a flat platter in three large mounds or peaks.  It is served straight out of the oven and covered with powdered sugar.

And it is delicious!!! And filling, as the one I had in Salzburg was the size of a football! Yum...

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Nokerli (I think) is a Hungarian dumpling that is usually served as a side dish with chicken or beef paprikas. My mother's nokerli were heavenly, and I make them only once in a very great while. Not so much because they're difficult to make, but because I can eat an entire potful without batting an eyelash. My mother's recipe, however, is basically just flour, egg and, I think, a bit of water. This becomes a very loose dough - probably similar to spaetzle - which is dropped into boiling water off the end of a spoon. Properly done, you have a longish dumpling, about 1-inch by 1/2-inch.

The recipe you describe, with butter and milk, would be somewhat richer than my mother's version.

they sound very kind of similar to rivels which are sort of like spatzle dumplings. They don't contain most of the rich ingredients that you listed, though and maybe they both originated in the same area.

rivels are used in amish cooking, btw

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I was looking in the Joy of Cooking today, and in the dumplings section I ran across nockerlin.

No results on egullet and google finds them as a dessert. "This dish celebrates the hills of Salzburg with its hills of heaped Meringue. It’s rich, indulgent and utterly delicious."

I've made this before. Quite easy and wacky to look at and eat.