• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Mexican Catering

I am going to be in Seattle for a stagette party on December 2nd. We will be staying in a hotel downtown (location TBD) and are looking for a caterer or restaurant that will deliver to the hotel. We are considering a hotel in the vicinity of the Pike Market so we may be able to pick up the goodies if the restaurant was in that vicinity.

There will be 10 of us and we are looking at having mexican appies while we are getting ready to go out on the town for an evening of debauchery and fun. The bride is getting married in Mexico thus the mexican theme.......

I was wondering what mexican restaurants provide delivery/catering/take out service that I could contact that are located in the downtown area and specifically around the Pike Place Market.

Also, I had read about El Puerco Lloron and the Mexican Grocery in the Pike Place Market and was wondering if either of these places would fit the bill in getting an assortment of mexican appy type food to go.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

You could check with Mayas. I would guess most hotels aren't going to want you to bring outside food in.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

You could check with Mayas.  I would guess most hotels aren't going to want you to bring outside food in.

If you're looking for a place that does catering close by your hotel, there's always Mama's. They do catering, or you could have the party there. 206-728-6262. Sorry I couldn't find a website.

There's not too much downtown...There is a place in the Pacific Place mall downtown called Mexico Cantina y Veracruz that caters, BUT I've never eaten there so I can't tell you what it's like. I do remember reading a good review of them once, but I think it's a chain. Guaymas Cantina is another downtown Mexican place, and it's pretty good, but I don't know if they cater.

El Puerco is an order-at-the-counter, sit-at rickety-metal-card-tables kind of place. They only have a dozen menu items, no appetizers (well, they have guacamole and chips). The grocery will heat up tamales or make burritos for you but they don't really have a menu.

I would probaby just try calling some of the nicer Mexican places in the city-La Carta de Oaxaca or Galerias, for example, and ask if they'll cater/deliver to downtown.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Guayamas in general caters and you'd have to see about being able to pick up at the downtown location, Veracruz doesn't suck for a mall Mexican place, you can also check with the various meal delivery services to see if they will deliver to hotels and which restaurants they serve.

Rocky

I would guess most hotels aren't going to want you to bring outside food in.

I've done this quite a few time and never had a problem. Of course we were having food/catering delivered to our guest room or suite as opposed to one of the hotels meeting rooms. Maybe that's why the hotel was okay with it.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

You could check with Mayas.  I would guess most hotels aren't going to want you to bring outside food in.

If you're looking for a place that does catering close by your hotel, there's always Mama's. They do catering, or you could have the party there. 206-728-6262. Sorry I couldn't find a website.

Thanks for all of the replies! I've tried to contact Mama's by e-mail but it bounced back to me so I was going to give them a call to see what they can do for me. As for going there, we are looking at having food in our room to eat while we get ready and some of the girls that I am going with are pretty high maintenance and it is quite a production. :rolleyes: I'll be the one in the corner drinking my marg and enjoying some good food while I am waiting for them to be ready to go...

I hadn't heard much about Maya's or Guayamas so I'll have to look into them a bit more.

I have heard back from a couple of places including Mexico Cantina y Veracruz mentioned by kiliki. They had offered to do up some guac, salsa and chips for $100 for 10 people....I don't think so!! I could just as easily make up some of my own for a hell of alot cheaper. We are looking at getting a hotel with a suite that has a kitchenette so I could always mix up some salsa and guac myself.

I also heard back from Cactus Restaurant and they have some pretty interesting options (tamales, ceviche, Jalapeños stuffed with herbed goat cheese, wrapped in bacon, grilled and served with buttermilk crema, along with the usual guac, salsa and chips). Anyone been?

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Guayamas in general caters and you'd have to see about being able to pick up at the downtown location, Veracruz doesn't suck for a mall Mexican place, you can also check with the various meal delivery services to see if they will deliver to hotels and which restaurants they serve.

Rocky

I've tried to search for meal delivery services in Seattle and didn't come up with anything. I'm not familiar with this, can you point me in the right direction to get more information on it?

If Cactus will deliver, go with them. They call themselves southwestern, as opposed to straight-up Mexican, and they are a step above many of the places we listed above. Those goat cheese stuffed jalapenos are REALLY good. Mama's is kind of tasty in a junk food sort of way but it's gloppy (ie whole plates covered in melted cheese) tex-mex.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Oh Agreed - Cactus has delicious menu items!

There are more greasy cheese covering the plate options downtown like Las Margaritas & Tacos Guaymas too. I think that perhaps they would be more fun to go to for the drinks after you've eaten somewhere else though.

What about Tia Lou's? They're not too far from the market. They might have something they could prepare and deliver.

I had read up on them but had been sticking to restaurants that had a website where I could check out their menu and also provided an e-mail that I could contact them with. I noted that they did have a great happy hour there though and they would have been a definite contender if we were going to go someplace. I may still give them a call though and see what they've got on offer since the location is good for us if we need to do a pick up.

What about Tia Lou's? They're not too far from the market. They might have something they could prepare and deliver.

I had read up on them but had been sticking to restaurants that had a website where I could check out their menu and also provided an e-mail that I could contact them with. I noted that they did have a great happy hour there though and they would have been a definite contender if we were going to go someplace. I may still give them a call though and see what they've got on offer since the location is good for us if we need to do a pick up.

Tia Lou's is decent and I've seen bridal parties parting there before, but if you are catering I would choose Cactus everytime. Another option would be Mission if they would cater and deliver - here's a link to a review.

Check with the hotel you are staying at. I have yet to stay in a hotel that didn't allow outside food. The last place I stayed in (Vancouver, BC) even had a couple dozen menus in the room binder.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Has anyone been to Spitfire? I really like their menu and the location is handy to our hotel so we can do a pick up. We are going to be staying at the Sheraton Seattle on 6th Avenue and Spitfire is located on 4th Avenue. I tried doing a search and didn't come up with anything on it besides under the topic of openings and closings and didn't feel like looking through 46 pages of replies to find the one that I was looking for....

I have not heard of Spitfire but I wanted to note that it's 9 blocks from the Sheraton. It would really require picking up your items in a car, as walking 9 blocks through the heart of downtown with a catering order might prove interesting!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I have not heard of Spitfire but I wanted to note that it's 9 blocks from the Sheraton. It would really require picking up your items in a car, as walking 9 blocks through the heart of downtown with a catering order might prove interesting!

It's also Seattle's monsoon season. I would recommend cabbing it.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I've been to Spitfire.  The food is solid and a few items are even very good, they are also not necessarily friendly to eating while getting dressed for a night out as many items are juicy/greasy/saucy.

Rocky

The items that I am particularly interested in are the Quesadillas with Roasted Poblano Chiles, Chicken Flautas, Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms, Meatballs in Spicy Chipotle Sauce and the Smoked Jalapeno - Tequila Ceviche. Have you tried any of these items? Anthing else that you've had that you would recommend? I think the meatballs might be a bit messier than the rest (depending on how "saucy" they are) but I was thinking that the rest of the food might be okay. I must say that your description of the food as being juicy and saucy has got my mouth watering... :laugh:

We are going to be driving from Vancouver to Seattle so we will have a vehicle at our disposal to pick up the food.

I've been to Spitfire.  The food is solid and a few items are even very good, they are also not necessarily friendly to eating while getting dressed for a night out as many items are juicy/greasy/saucy.

Rocky

The items that I am particularly interested in are the Quesadillas with Roasted Poblano Chiles, Chicken Flautas, Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms, Meatballs in Spicy Chipotle Sauce and the Smoked Jalapeno - Tequila Ceviche. Have you tried any of these items? Anthing else that you've had that you would recommend? I think the meatballs might be a bit messier than the rest (depending on how "saucy" they are) but I was thinking that the rest of the food might be okay. I must say that your description of the food as being juicy and saucy has got my mouth watering... :laugh:

We are going to be driving from Vancouver to Seattle so we will have a vehicle at our disposal to pick up the food.

I've had the quesadillas, meatballs, and flautas, and they were all good. I also liked the tacos. The meatballs are very saucy but it's a good sauce, maybe worth investing in a box of plastic bibs? :laugh:

Rocky

So I've decided to try out Spitfire when we are there on the weekend for our mexican fiesta. I will be giving them a call earlier in the afternoon to place our order and will swing by around dinner to pick up the food to bring back to our hotel to eat. I am not an expert on mexican food by any means but will report back when I am back on the food. Hopefully the roads are cleared up for our drive down from Vancouver to Seattle on Saturday.....

Thanks to all for your recommendations!!!