• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desparately seeking smoked salmon

phungi

A few years ago, I was in Seattle, and purchased some incredible garlic smoked salmon at the fish market, shrink-wrapped for travel.

I get monthly e-mails reminding me of this, but I don't need 2 lbs/$75 worth of salmon to satisfy a craving.

So, I wonder where in the Philly area I can get some tasty smoked salmon, other than the traditional "chub"-style smoked salmon one finds at kosher delis.

Edited by phungi (log)

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Have you tried Di'Bruno's?

Thier kippered salmon is close to west coast style smoked salmon (hot smoked), also I have a had some pretty decent version that I bought prepacked (gasp!!!) at my local fruit store on 20th & manning, I believe Trader Joes has a verison as well..as does whole foods as an FYI if you are feeling adevnturous you can try to hot smoke salmon yourself..alton brown has a cardboard box smoked version that comes out fantastic..it was the genesis of the now defunct smoked joint's smoked salmon (which I think was the best thing on thier menu)

Aggreably none of these comes close to the Pike Street Market version but it will satisfy a craving

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

You may want to try Max and Me in Bucks county. They no longer have their retail outpost but here's their web site and phone number. They also have a cookbook on Smoked Salmon.

Jim

Jim, I've been to events catered by them and they are indeed the real deal. I am interested in getting some of this smoked salmon for Thanksgiving but don't need too much, half pound at the most given everything else we'll be having. Where in Bucks are they?

You may want to try Max and Me in Bucks county. They no longer have their retail outpost but here's their web site and phone number. They also have a cookbook on Smoked Salmon.

Jim

Jim, I've been to events catered by them and they are indeed the real deal. I am interested in getting some of this smoked salmon for Thanksgiving but don't need too much, half pound at the most given everything else we'll be having. Where in Bucks are they?

They're in Buckingham (roughly btwn Richboro and New Hope), if memory serves. They were featured in Saveur 2 or 3 yrs ago. I'm pretty sure Cote & Co resells their lox... Cote & Co is in Doylestown on 611 off of Swamp Rd in th Cross Keys shopping center (great bakery there too).

While you're up there there's a great salad greens place on 413 north of 232 and south of 263. Also there's a raw milk place nearby which u can find on realmilk.com

would give links and more info but baby asleep on left arm

DiBruno's was sampling smoked salmon last weekend, one of which was either hot smoked or kippered. It was indeed tasty. I also saw kippered salmon today at Famous Fourth Street Deli.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Jim

I haven't been to events catered by them recently (and the only one previously was just some simple cookies at an event) but from what I understand from talking to various people in the biz, their catering is probably at least decent, but below my previous expectation of them.

Their salmon though, I expect to be at a high standard, since that's what made their reputation initially, and I've heard nothing otherwise.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

iirc (and I'm not 100% sure), Max and Me just does cold smoked salmon, not hot smoked, which is what phungi is seeking. Kippered salmon is hot smoked. I must confess, as one who prefers cold smoked to hot smoked salmon, that the garlic salmon phungi linked to looks very appetizing.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report