• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John Cope's Dried Corn

Fat Guy

I might have to try some of this. I remember my mom getting excited when I was little about corn pudding made from this same product since she'd eaten it growing up near Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania (I think my grandmother shipped some from PA to CA for her). Didn't do anything for me at the time, but now I'm curious.

my grandmother makes this every year for thanksgiving. She doesn't do anything special with it except follow the directions on the back of the packaging. I love the flavour too, its really deep and concentrated and sometimes a little chewy. Is this stuff hard to find? I'm guessing its more of a pennsylvania dutch thing

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

We picked up some Copes in Pennsylvania last year (at Meat Nirvana, aka Dietrich's Meats) and will definitely put some on the Thanksgiving menu - I'd forgotten about it until I saw this post. Thanks for the reminder!

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

I recently picked up some of the freeze-dried "Just Corn," pulverized it in a food processor, and used it as a sort-of 'crust' for a sweet corn souffle (by coating the inside of the souffle dish). It was pretty good, but not great. With some experimentation, I think it could be darn good, though. :)

I think I got the idea for pulverizing the corn from the ideasinfood site. You should try it -- the corn powder is really intense.

--chuck

I always have a box on hand for after turkey day. I make a turkey corn soup with it. I was inspired by Native American dishes to combine the left over turkey, turkey broth, Cope's corn and mild chili peppers, and spices to make a really hearty soup. I don't have a recipe, I just use the leftover turkey and go from there. It is always a hit, especially served with navajo fry bread and blue corn cornbread.

I have a lot of this stuff. Tonight I am using it in a "creamless creamed corn" recipe. It is soaking in chicken stock and will be simmered in that with some shallots and stuff; there are no additional sweet ingredients. We'll see how it goes.

I'm also thinking, because of the sweetness, maybe indian pudding-- the New England kind with molasses. I have a simple (eggless) recipe calling for a quart of milk and 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal. Anyone have any idea how much Cope's I should substitute for that amount of cornmeal?