• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor marriage game.

GTO

If I can be so bold to cheat a bit on the beets, one of my favourite menu items at Cru Restaurant here in Vancouver dresses beets with truffle vinaigrette, then pairs them and crispy shallots with...

...smoked albacore tuna. :wub:

Edited to say that by "cheat" I mean that the beets aren't pickled.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Pineapple!

Should I be obscure? Pineapple and beetroot are traditional hamburger fillings in Australia.

SO pickled BEETROOT (or BEETS) as you all seem to call them.

Nobody EVER posts the same time as me! Early morning Monday for you?

If I can be so bold to cheat a bit on the beets, one of my favourite menu items at Cru Restaurant here in Vancouver dresses beets with truffle vinaigrette, then pairs them and crispy shallots with...

...smoked albacore tuna:wub:

Edited to say that by "cheat" I mean that the beets aren't pickled.

That's forgivable. I forget that in most of the world, beets are consumed fresh and not pickled most of the time.

Edited by Syrah (log)

Should I be obscure? Pineapple and beetroot are traditional hamburger fillings in Australia.

SO pickled BEETROOT (or BEETS) as you all seem to call them.

Nobody EVER posts the same time as me! Early morning Monday for you?

:laugh:

Aye, it certainly is EARLY morning Monday for me (and a fair shake colder here than it is where you live!). Chalk it up to insomnia. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

of course parmesan is so fabuloso with silky supple pasta or al dente creamy risotto, but my favourite way with parmesan is cut into big shattery chunks of shards, for dessert, with PEARS.

PEARS!

Edited by marlena spieler (log)

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Mmmm... eggplant is one of the main ingredients in ratatouille which gives you a whole host of choices for the next ingredient.

Zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms: take your pick!

Joie Alvaro Kent

A Cajun style restaurant I used to frequent in the 80's used to serve deep fried Zucchini wedges dusted with Powdered Confectioner's Sugar. (Perhaps it was the influence of too many hurricanes and Pimm's cups, but damn, those were gooood.)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Hmmm...I like the powdered sugary goodness of turkish delight and it's maiden flavouring...

Rose

cashews (kaju burfi can be called cashew fudge, and is

often tinged with rosewater)....

Milagai

Rose geranium pound cake.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts