• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor marriage game.

GTO

Hey guys, I thought it might be fun to start up a kind of food related, word association game. I'll post something below - The idea being that the next person posts a flavour or ingredient that matches well with the one before it.

Hopefully, if all goes to plan, we could end up with some interesting links, so here we go!

Apricot

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Hey guys, I thought it might be fun to start up a kind of food related, word association game. I'll post something below - The idea being that the next person posts a flavour or ingredient that matches well with the one before it.

Hopefully, if all goes to plan, we could end up with some interesting links, so here we go!

Apricot

Cloves.

A restaurant in my town serves their cheese plate with dried apricots that have been reconstituted in a clove-inflected syrup. Gorgeous.

Owner of Salt in Montpelier, VT

www.saltcafevt.com

Beef, I love beef with a peanut sauce.

Mmmm! I love cumin rubbed on a steak.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Beef, I love beef with a peanut sauce.

Mmmm! I love cumin rubbed on a steak.

April

Tamarind! as in Tamarind chutney, AKA imli chutney,

a most necessary sweet-tangy-hot dip for samosas, pakoras, etc etc.

Cumin spices up just about any savory recipe and

it's an important flavor note in Imli Chutney (other ingredients

vary, but include tamarind of course, then rock salt,

ground up raisins, jaggery or brown sugar

if jaggery not available, red chilli powder, maybe a tad of

garam masala, water, etc.)

Milagai

edited to add:

argh! Swisskaese just beat me to it, but I still

keep my reply as Tamarind:

I found a recipe on line for "Spicy Black Beans in Tamarind

Sauce" in an Indian recipes forum, so I'll repeat: